Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-05-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Bubble play with K5s

SB stack was around 13K, so pretty small but significantly outchipping me.

My stack was 5300 before ante and BB, it was 3500 at action.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:26 AM

With 1/3 of my chips in for the BB, I'm calling here every time with any two. I'm estatic to have K high here...PLUS you had 2 live cards. What's not to love aside from losing the hand. You did the right thing; unfortunately luck didn't pan out.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:42 AM

You need to push, but there's not much wrong with letting the clock run down a bit to see if anyone else busts, FWIW.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I am new to this...everywhere I read it says to reply to these kind of posts if you are not entirely sure of your own answer, so that's what I did. sorry for the poor advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

the play is a push. don't worry about giving bad advice. we all did when we were starting.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to be able to post a full BB if I don't see an allinable hand by the next BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you held the last time it was checked to you should have been your 'allinable hand'. You have to call here (altough I fold some bubble situations here). A rule of thumb I use is to never allow myself to voluntarily fall below 5xBB, unless something drastic is happening.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can fold this.

Any hand SB will miniraise with is going to call your push and be a favorite over k5. You're not really in shape to make a run for the tournament, so I would choose a better spot to make a stand. I think its a fold if you're not on the bubble. If you care about the payout increase its definitely a fold.

the other players will easily be all in several times in the next few hands.

I usually ignore the bubble and push my premium hands, this isnt one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am far from ready to give up on a big finish here. It is situations like this where survivalists really get killed in terms of long term EV. They may jump .20 buy-ins by folding up a level. But if he wins this hand (which he probably has 40% equity in) he will have 11600 chips, he steals once more within 2-3 hands, he is almost back to 10xBB.

I know that I can turn a 7xBB stack (when there are antes and most players are short) into a final table enough where it is worth a 40/60 shot vs. a .20 buy-in increase by folding up the pay-scale.

The only time I consider folding here is certain party MTTs where the low end pays >2x the buy in, with a slow increase until top 7. Then it is probably worth folding your way in.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:02 PM

First off, your fold equity is exactly zero, but I still think you should call simply because of the pot odds. He doesn't need much hand here. He would probably limp with his best hands trying to get your last chips when you inevitably push with almost anything.

Another huge thing that would influence me to call is that you have an opportunity to play a pot heads up, rather than play in a later situation where you might have more than one opponent where they can do the "unspoken collusion" play of checking it down to bust you.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:49 PM

I was in "allin on any ace/pair/broadway/etc." mode for quite some time with the high ante, but I was just seeing a lot of 94o and the like. I wasn't getting gradually anted down from 12 BB, this hand was the first hand after a level increase and I had recently lost a decent pot calling a small stack allin.

The current payout was a litte over 1 buyin, it doubled at 30th.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in "allin on any ace/pair/broadway/etc." mode for quite some time with the high ante, but I was just seeing a lot of 94o and the like. I wasn't getting gradually anted down from 12 BB, this hand was the first hand after a level increase and I had recently lost a decent pot calling a small stack allin.

The current payout was a litte over 1 buyin, it doubled at 30th.

[/ QUOTE ]

May actually be a fold then, closer than I thought. Probably comes down to your skills at short stack poker. If I were someone who came from the STT forum, I would call. If I normally played ring games, I would fold.