Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Explain these poker concepts to me... like I\'m a 2 year old.

I wrote this a while ago, and haven't reviewed it to see how correct it is, but link to equity stuff
Old 07-06-2005, 03:51 PM

Ok, thank you all for your responses, especially the link to the equity posting.

Regarding equity, how do I know what my odds to win a particular hand are? Is is determined by the number of players in that hand or my hole cards or both? I am aware of twodimes calculator but obviously that is not a real option for determining these numbers on the fly, is there a formula or do you just memorize something?
TIA
-flyangler-
Old 07-06-2005, 04:36 PM

As has been pointed out in this thread already, buy some books. I've never read Lee Jones' book, but have read HPFAP and Theory of Poker and both helped a great deal. After that read SSH. It's not a beginners book.

Books can provide a needed break from the game and help you re-evaluate your play.

As for your outs, percentages question, a simple yahoo search turned up this for what it's worth. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, thank you all for your responses, especially the link to the equity posting.

Regarding equity, how do I know what my odds to win a particular hand are? Is is determined by the number of players in that hand or my hole cards or both? I am aware of twodimes calculator but obviously that is not a real option for determining these numbers on the fly, is there a formula or do you just memorize something?
TIA
-flyangler-

[/ QUOTE ]

Figure out how many cards are likely to give you the best hand as a ratio against the cards that don't give you the best hand.

Four to a flush = 9 "outs" to a flush (hopefully the best hand).

On the flop this works out to something like 4.75:1 odds to hit by the turn, and on the river it's something like 4.5:1 odds to hit on the river. Going from the flop to the river (if you get a free card) it's about 2:1 or 1.95:1, I think).

--Dave.