Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 06-24-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Marginal Situation

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (10 handed) converter

MP1 (t1305)
MP2 (t535)
MP3 (t685)
Hero (t765)
Button (t655)
SB (t215)
BB (t890)
UTG (t1205)
UTG+1 (t740)
UTG+2 (t1005)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, Button calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Do you fold this PF, call, or raise? If you raise, what's your line on the flop?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Marginal Situation

Interesting hand. I too would have raised this PF but maybe it's better to fold this for situations such as this? On the button it's obviously a raise.

Anyway on the flop, seeing as how you have nothing going for you, I'd probably go "NO READ NO BLUFF" and check/fold. Not risking chips this early. Hands down though I think the only way you should put more chips into the pot is if you know this player pretty well.

LDT
Old 06-24-2005, 02:36 PM

Depending on the table, I play this pre-flop in this situation. You get a chance to steal the blinds, and you have a good enough hand to play if you get called.

Now you have to bet the flop for at least your pre-flop bet. You have no hand and a badly-compromised backdoor draw, plus just two aces to hit for top pair. If you're called, shut it down. If you're re-raised...oh well. You took a shot. And know that he knows you tried to steal. Then you can pummel him with a good hand later on.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:39 PM

He starts with 765 chips down to 615 after the preflop raise. There's 375 in the pot. Betting this on the flop you have to go at least what, 200? 250? Now you're down to ~400 chips and have no hand at all. I like the safe play.

My logic could be wrong, teachhhh me!

LDT
Old 06-24-2005, 02:43 PM

I sometimes raise, sometimes fold PF. I think this primarily as an attempted blind steal and as such needs context.

Post-flop, out of position, I check/fold. If villian checks, I might bet the turn, I guess most likely if it is a spade.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:50 PM

I fold here preflop.

I don't think 75 chips is worth stealing. If you get a call, you either go into a check/fold shell or you stab at the pot or you get a very uncomfortable piece of the flop. Maybe in a deep stack game...

Who's calling your raise? Even a donk calling with ATo has you beat and will correctly put pressure on you BY MISTAKE on the flop.

The deadliest poker sin is tricking a moron into outplaying you.... for 75 chips?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:46 PM

I raise preflop and check/fold here. Sucks, but meh. :/