Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 05-12-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Is this why I\'m a mediocre 5/10 SH player?

I'm okay with both calling and raising on the flop, but I don't like your turn raise because it shuts down his 3-outers and bluffs. Much better I think would be calling the turn then either calling or raising the river, depending on what comes off and how bad the guy is.

Edit: yeah, what Jeff said.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This hand is certainly not holding you back from crushing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, not in this particular scenario... I was wondering about the what-if scenario.

What if he re-raised the turn? Me... I still call it down. This is probably bad, but I do it because of my "I-gotta-see" syndrome.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:11 PM

my line is to call down in these situatinos and bet if checked to. i think it works well.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:12 PM

I haven't played the 5/10 in months, but I would call down even if 3-bet. I have top pair and people go crazy in BBvsSB pots.

Edit: Only have to be good 1/5 times to justify calling down a turn 3 bet.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there was a third person after me, I would've definitely raised to protect my hand. Heads up, however, I find that most will call the raise and I won't be able to protect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you played it alright. I agree raising the flop does nothing to protect your hand, because no one will fold for 1 SB.

edit: I suppose the merit of raising the flop is that it might get him to fold for 1 BB on the turn or allow you to get a free card.

Dane makes a good point about letting him bluff the turn and river. I think the decision to raise or let him bluff is very dependent on your read of the opponent.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:53 PM

With regard to raising the flop and/or turn, the question is not just whether it protects his hand, but whether he's ahead. If you assume the villain will call with a worse hand, then why not raise?

Having said that, I see value to waiting till the river to raise. I think that depends on the opponent.

Now as to the question "what if raised on turn," I fold. But that's because I'm playing 2/4 and 3/6. At those limits, I am convinced the turn raise is so rarely a bluff that it is hardly worth considering. Might be entirely different at 5/10.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:07 PM

At 5/10 the turn raise is very rarely a bluff - if you operate like you are at 3/6 or 2/4 (except make allowances for HU blind wars etc) then you'll do fine.

Back to the hand:

In this situation it is not about protecting one's hand, but extracting value. I like the flop raise because even overcards will call - and they may or may not call the turn, which is fine with me. If the villain needs a piece of the board to bet (straight draw/flush draw/any pair) then waiting to the turn is okay - but you'll get 3bet by a 7 and then you'll have to call (boo).

Wating for the river to raise would be okay if our holding was a bit stronger - tens have to dodge lots of overcards and board-pairing cards (the 7 is not a good card on the turn) so that you may not even be able to raise for value later(turn or river), hence I prefer the flop raise.

Surf
Old 05-12-2005, 06:09 PM

learning when to call or fold (or reraise) when raised on the later streets is one of the hardest decisions to make. I'm wrestling with the same thing right now, I feel like I'm paying off too many turn and river raises from non-LAGish opponents with mediocre hands like middle pair and bottom pair.

Can anyone recommend any good threads from HU/SH canon re: being raised and calling/folding (things to consider, good example hands vs different players, etc)? This is definitely my pet leak right now.

d
Old 05-12-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend any good threads from HU/SH canon re: being raised and calling/folding (things to consider, good example hands vs different players, etc)? This is definitely my pet leak right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of any off the top of my head - post some of yours! You can filter(in the general tab under "Filters") for hands where you were raised postflop + folded (or didn't...or whatever.)

Look up some of your close ones and we'll all have a learn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 05-12-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: RESULT

[ QUOTE ]
He had 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BTW, how do you include the results in white?
I know you use the font color, but for some reason when I do it, it shows up like this

<font color="white">He had 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand converter doesn't use the suit images when it posts the results. Just do like '5s 8c' in white.