Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Default General low limit theory? - Help Me Please!

I am fairly new to online poker, I've played lots of home games though. When I began to play online, I did fairly well, using the basic strategies and gut instincts learned through live play.
Then I started to study.
I came here and started reading forums, I started reading Super System, I started watching videos - etc.
Now I am struggling in Low Limit online! It seems that the more I have learned and read, the worse my results have been in online play. I have definitely tightened up since studying, and I think that is what is hurting me in these low limit games! I got beat by Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] when I had pocket AA. I got beat by 62o when I had a K high flush. These beats are draining my meager bankroll quickly and I am frustrated.
What I am looking for is for a one-liner, a generailty, some basic advice to help me start winning some money again.
FWIW if I was to look at my game right now I would say I have to now loosen back up, and play more hands. That would be my gut reaction to the recent turn of events. Not sure if that is the right way to look at it, but that is the kind of thing I am hoping for here... basic advice to help me through this time of "growing pains".
Old 04-26-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: General low limit theory? - Help Me Please!

I'll tell you the one thing that I'm sure everyone else is gonna say:

READ SMALL STAKES HOLDEM!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I am looking for is for a one-liner, a generailty, some basic advice to help me start winning some money again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with that.

Seriously, spend some time responding to hands with how you would play them in a real game. You have to be an active participant in your poker education, not just read something in a book and magically become an expert.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:03 PM

Stop right there.

Here's your 1-liner: Read WLLH.

The eduction you've gained so far is discombobulated, and I'm not surprised that your'e losing your money. Some of what you've studied is advanced, some more basic. You can't just start from scratch with such a jumble of information. You need to build a foundation. WLLH is that foundation. Next comes SSH.

There are precious few simple rules in poker. Here's one: no matter how hard you think poker is, its actually much harder.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:03 PM

My first book was also Super System... it is more a general theory book and you need more in depth examples and explanations to play well. I have in my libarary hold'em by sklansky, the theory of poker by sklansky, Mike Caro's poker tells, and super system. Both sklansky's book's i find are the most helpful, and might I suggest getting this , as it is the next book for me to get on my list.

Basically, SSHE tells you to play tight and aggressive, and adjusting your play not only on your opponents play, but also on the size of the pot for a hand.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:11 PM

One Liner: TROLL!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm. thanks, I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You referring to yourself?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM

I had the almost the exact same thing happen to me. I played mostly live games my whole life (NL), and when I decided to play internet poker for a while for fun, I did well. I then decided to learn small stakes, and the more I learned (Small Stake Hold 'Em) the more I began to lose. I just couldn't understand why people wouldn't fold and became frustrated because in NL, I could push those fish right out.
However, you need to know why you are making moves, not that you are supposed to play this way or that because the book tells me. This was my biggest problem. Pour hours into SSHE and into this site, where there are many qualified people that can help you with each section that you don't understand.
There are bad beats, there is varience, there are bad runs. However, if your play is correct, you will beat these games.
Good luck!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:30 PM

Remember to look at the big picture. Opponents who play 6-2 are opponents who are going to make you a lot more money than they cost you. Limit is all about The Long Run.

Were your home games limit or NL? If they were NL, forget everything you think you know about the game. You are playing a new game now. (OK, I exaggerate - but forget everything you think you know about starting hands and when to raise.)

Reading Super System or Holdem Poker for Advanced Players is, frankly, going to hurt you a lot more than it helps you, at this point. An M-16 should not be the first gun you ever pick up and try to shoot. Some of the tricks only work against deep-thinking opponents. Some of the tricks are only applicable at certain times, and are very expensive mistakes used at the wrong time. (When I started out at the 25/50 cent tables, I did OK feeling my way along by common sense... and DESTROYED my game when a friend loaned me HPFAP. I took a month off, started fresh with the basics, and did much better.)

Take a deep breath. Read Jones and/or Miller. Slowly work your way up. And remember when you feel yourself put on tilt, it's time to take a break not get mad and try to get even with the guy who sucked out on you