Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-20-2004, 02:51 AM

Default Kerry\'s \"threat\" is a dream come true...

If only Bush WOULD promise to privatize social security I'd actually vote for him.

Privatizing SS is the best possible turn of events with that failed program, other than phasing it out entirely.

natedogg
Old 10-20-2004, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Fear mongering

"But I don't for a minute think that Bush/Cheney can make us safer against such attacks than Kerry/Edwards."

True, but they can probably make us less safe if the voters fail to cooperate. One can never entirely discount threats by the powerful.

For example, let's say Bush loses and then gets a classified report warning "Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States," hands it back unread and heads off for his ranch. Probably just my paranoia....
Old 10-20-2004, 03:04 AM

The military has no problem making it's recruitment needs, and reenlistment is high.

Did those cuts actually go through? I'm curious, because I don't know, but it's looks like they didn't.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...14/MN94780.DTL

And how do you suppress the black vote? How do you scare a man that lives in the ghetto from going into a voting booth?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:14 AM

Chris -

If I said I thought we should rape Cris Brown's 12-year-old daughter, but then somebody stopped me, would that make me less of a scumbag? (To resuscitate a wildly popular rhetorical device.)

I think you're dodging the issue, which isn't something you usually do.

Good question about scaring a black guy. If I was going to do it, I'd probably just have an independent company wipe him off the voting rolls beforehand, just in case he made it down there.

NT
Old 10-20-2004, 03:17 AM

People react to fear. You threaten a guy's kids, or his income and he's going to react. If someone can see a direct correlation between a threat to his kids and who becomes President, that person will vote, and same if he believed he could get more food or a better job because of it.

People can be complicated, but they do react very strongly to fear of things that are very important to them. Shortstacked people go all-in multiple times, and they really need and want every edge they get on things that matter to them. Basics. Very simple stuff a lot of us take for granted, but I'm willing to fight tooth and nail for it, and so are most people.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:32 AM

Agreed, but how much much of the suppression of the black vote is documented? Where is the proof that it went on? I find it very hard to believe that you can implement this on a vast scale without making atleast some kind of errors and leave proof behind. Where are the witnesses/plaintiffs? I would think the NYT and CBS would be all over this. Have they covered this? Or is this just another conspiracy theory?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:52 AM

Did you watch the 2000 election? What does Bush have to do for his party to be held responsible for this? Go around beating black people up himself?

Seriously, there have been a lot of dirty tricks that benefited nobody but Bush (i.e. McCain in SC during the primaries) but that he vehemently denies involvement in. It stinks. And his closest people have a long history of the same tactics.

I just wish you guys would acknowledge that he's at the very least letting these things be done in his name. It's not like the other guys don't do ridiculous things too. But for some reason people want to pretend that racist political tricks are a thing of the past. They aren't.

NT
Old 10-20-2004, 04:06 AM

OK I found it, NYT did cover this. They are called ''ballot integrity'' programs. I can't read the whole article though... costs $$$$.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...AD0894DC404482
Old 10-20-2004, 06:30 AM

The voter:

To cynical for dreams but gullible enough for nightmares.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:49 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

Say, could you convince some more Brit papers to tell us how to vote? That whole thing is starting to work out great for me over here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]