Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Full House on the button vs PF raiser, easy stack right?

Depends on the player. Some guys will fire another bullet at you on the turn if you just call; others will be more likely to put all their money in if you raise right away to somewhere around triple the bet.

Much of it depends on how he perceives you; this really is one of those "it depends" situations.

If the man has an overpair, then a raise is in order. If he's on a hand like AK, he's so thin that a free card is in order.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:34 AM

Hi. I almost always raise here. He wont put you on JJ, and will probably credit you for spades. Plus if he has spades, he might reraise you and you get your money in with him drawing dead.

If you call, several bad things can happen:
Card higher than J and you don't know where you are, although this shouldn't be too much of a concern, he's probably not gonna stack off if he makes a pair, but you're likely to get stacked if he makes trips.

Spade hits, and he slows down with his overpair. Obv this is of no good.

Finally, if a blank comes, and he does bet the turn with an overpair, and you raise, he's much more likely to give you credit for a big hand.

Like someone said though its v player dependant. If the guy's really loose preflop then calling might be better since in that case you hope he pairs the turn.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:11 AM

I had a hand almost exactly like this on 5/10. 1k stacks Had 99 on the button, villain raised, i called, flop was 977 2 clubs. Villian bet 80 i popped to 225 he pushed. He had AcJc. If you dont raise the flop, there are so many scare cards that can come. If you dont raise the flop hes less likely to put money in with his over pair on the turn. If he has AK or AQ, then so be it, your not going to make much money off of him anyways. Id rather raise it up on the flop and have him think YOUR on the flush draw.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:35 AM

Hmmm... well, if he's unknown to you, then you're unknown to him. I think I'd take my chances with popping it to maybe $400. Oh, by the way, I definitely like the PF flat call.

AK and AQ each have 6 pseudo-outs, but I think the chance of hooking QQ-AA (or flush draw) is worth excluding AK and AQ here. If you make it $400 and can get a call, then you've got a turn pot of $940, and, with another $500 bet on the turn,they're hooked for doubling up.

If you just flat call, you might let AK and AQ (or a flush) catch and win a little but I don't think you'll have enough betting opportunities to double up. If villain is any good, I think he'll have to lay down even AA on the turn anyway, but it's not going to be easy. I really don't think any of the overpairs can correctly lay down to $400 on the flop.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 AM

Hiatus,

Raise the flop.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 AM

I also think a raise is best here. He could easily put you on the flush draw or AJ and play back at you with an overpair.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise this flop.
He would expect a monster to smoothcall..u raise..he prolly goes broke if he has an Over pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that an overpair goes broke fast here, and if i have 4k i raise the flop; but w/ 2k i think i'd rather call and often catch a 2nd barrel from kqish type hands.

EDIT: i should notice flush draws... obv. raise.

dry i smootchall more often.