Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 01:47 PM

Default spewin\' all over the place - ugly AA blind battle hand

villain just sat down, dont have any stats on him yet, i recognize him, but dont remember how he plays

i dont know what the hell i was doin on the flop and turn, on the river i figured he had some 2 pair hand or something and the only way to win this pot was with a raise

looking for comments on all streets, i think i seriously [censored] this one up

Party Poker 100.00/200.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.00 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.00 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.00 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 12-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: spewin\' all over the place - ugly AA blind battle hand

i think you're fine until the river.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:10 PM

Wow, this one is ugly....I'll give it my best shot.

FLOP: I dont see anything wrong with your play here.

TURN: Given the flop action and the turned spade, I really dont like raising here, since you would never want to be 3 bet. I would just call at this point knowing that if the villain is ahead of me with two pair, I have many outs to beat him, and I can draw cheaply. If the villain has a set its not the end of the world either since you will have 6 outs unless he has pocket kings with a spade.

Given that you raised the turn, I think you have enough to call the 3 bet. Youre too likely to have outs and be drawing live to consider folding IMO. Plus theres always that small chance your hand is still best.

RIVER: I understand your thinking but I dont like your play here. Since you have no read on the villain there is no way you can assume he will fold a better hand than you in this heads up situation even on that horrible board. Making this kind of play on the river without a read will be costly IMO.
So on the river, its between calling and folding IMO.

An argument for calling would go something like this, the pot is large and there are still 2 combinations of AK left without a spade, and there are 6 combinations with KJ left without a spade, and the villain may of played these hands in this manner on every street, I dont know the villain so maybe hes crazy enough to play QJ without a spade also. People are known to get overaggressive in these Blind vs Blind battles. I think i'll invest one more BB and call this river, even if I lose I can still gain some kind of information on the villain, which is important since we may be in a few more blind battles today.

An argument for folding would be, the villain has showed a tremendous amount of strength the entire hand, I have let him know repeatedly that I like my hand and he doesnt care. He 3 bet me on the turn on that very scray board, and then he bet the river on an even scarier board, I strongly believe the villain can beat one pair, theres no way my hand is good here 1/15 times so im folding.

I really dont think it matters in the long run whether you call this river or fold. So I would probably call and gain some information on the villain.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:21 PM

i think you're better off with call/call/call here.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Take this constructivly, because i think you are good for a plyer who has moved up as fast as you have, but you put in too many bets postflop sometimes when you're hand isnt likely to be good. You certainly could be good on the turn, but it was capped preflop, the flop SUCKS, and the flush draw just got there. You have no redraw, and could be drawing dead. Why raise?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you put in too many bets postflop sometimes when you're hand isnt likely to be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this and i think it is one of my major leaks, i tend to think i can knock my opponents off of their hands and always think theyre doing the same to me(which at these limits is always a possibility)

also i think its worth noting that i think i was playing a lot better poker toward the beginning of the 15/30 game than toward the end, when we were playing heads up i noticed that i started playing a bit maniacal, but didnt really do anything to change that, i think my biggest leak is probably that i do not play my A game anywhere near all the time and dont think about my poker descisions at the table like i would when i am posting or something

[ QUOTE ]
Why raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

i really dont know what i was thinking at the time, it was toward the end of a 10 to 12ish hour session and i dont think i was playing my best or really putting much thought into my actions, i guess i was trying to make a free showdown type play, but i really dont think this is the right spot for it at all

after the turn 3-bet i think its clear that i am beat, but i think i had to call because of the possibility of 2 pair or a very aggressively played pair or draw, but i do think it was very close

on the river i figured there was pretty much no way i was ahead and made a last chance play for the pot on a very scary card which was probably bad too

looking back on it this hand was probably not even worth posting because i already know at the time that it was played horribly, while i may not have known the optimal line, i could have probably figured it out, i think the hand just put me on tilt a little bit(which is why i stopped playing a few rounds after it) not necessarily because i lost, but because i was unhappy with the way that it was played

anyway, he called, he had KT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looking back on it this hand was probably not even worth posting because i already know at the time that it was played horribly

[/ QUOTE ]
Dont say that, horribly played hands are fun, so never be shy about posting them, we all screw up from time to time, and I think posting hands you make a lot of mistakes in is good for your game and for the readers. Roy Cooke once said if you never make any mistakes youre probably not taking enough chances. I think thats true.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:18 PM

you actually make a pretty good point, i think in making my reply i just realized some [censored] about my game that i may not have been willing to admit to myself and i think just typing that out was very helpful to me, hopefully i can prevent myself from making these types of plays in the future and really try to pay more attention to how i am playing and what i need to be thinking about at the table
Old 12-12-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you're better off with call/call/call here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-12-2005, 12:40 AM

once he 3bets teh flop i go into calldown mode

edit : actually, the flop is really close between a raise and a call, im undecided which.