Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: AA line I\'ve never taken before...

[ QUOTE ]
If you had KK/QQ would you still check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against aggressive opponents, certainly. However, a lot of times I bet it myself. I do mix it up...

Garland
Old 12-10-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To me his hand range is two hands based on that bet : AK or QQ. Wouldn't he re-raise with KK pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think more and more players are apt to just call a re-raise with KK rather than put in a 3rd raise, especially from the blinds. This goes for me too, unless I'm going against a particularily loose opponent or maniac.

Garland
Old 12-10-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you have to lead the flop here for something. Checking just gives him too much of an opportunity to take the pot away with a hand worse than yours. The way you played it is incredibly weak tight and if anyone is paying attention will probably cause a few more people to play back at you, when they know you will fold after a PF re-raise to one bet.

By that last part, I mean there are really some metagame considerations that I think dictate essentially betting any flop after you re-raise pre-flop. I happen to think an aggressive image is always profitable, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do have a valid point. However, I don't think I suffer from a weak tight image. I'm very much in there betting, raising and re-raising on the battlefield. I certainly have a tight-aggressive image.

I also think there's a time to be aggressive and a time to be practical. The guy is very, very tight...tighter than even me. He just called a massive re-raise...one that will release many smaller pocket pairs. To me, that most likely means KK or QQ. I can live with a Kxx or Qxx flop, but not both as it makes it all that much more likely that he outflopped me.

Yes, I can lead, but I think that's also a futile effort. He calls, and then what? Best case scenario, he has AK and calls or has JJ and folds. I think I can still sleep at night with this check-fold. Think about it: his bet is daring. He truly has to worry that I'm slowplaying a set when I check.

The times I'll nail his a** are the times when the flop comes xxx. That's when I'll spring the check-raise all-in trap because I know he has a big pocket pair, and I know he won't be able to let it go as he's practically pot committed.

Garland
Old 12-10-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The times I'll nail his a** are the times when the flop comes xxx. That's when I'll spring the check-raise all-in trap because I know he has a big pocket pair, and I know he won't be able to let it go as he's practically pot committed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why "The way you played it is incredibly weak tight and if anyone is paying attention will probably cause a few more people to play back at you, when they know you will fold after a PF re-raise to one bet" makes no sense. 90% of the time I *want* lots of action when I've put a big chunk of my stack in preflop.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if anyone is paying attention will probably cause a few more people to play back at you

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless we're re-raising really light... this is a good thing.

If we check/fold, they think we're more capable of a pre-flop re-raise bluff here, which is a more aggressive image.

Edit: SHould read responseds first.. oh well.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:05 AM

bet flop
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 PM

I like it, I think you run into QQ or KK most of the time
Old 12-10-2005, 02:22 PM

Check folding here sucks. I would bet here with any PP I called with PF if I was villain.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:49 PM

To all those saying "nice hand sir" i have a question:

Are you insane?

Without alot more specific information on villian, i don't just think this is bad. It's terrible....Putting villian on AA - QQ based on the fact that he called your reraise and he's played tight over 300 hands is terrbile. And if he's that tight you should probably be reraising this guy with any 2.

Many people who play very tight preflop are not nearly as tight when it comes to calling raises and reraises. Many get attached to 'good' hands. They think, "I'm playing tight but i'm not going to get pushed around".....This guy could have as little as AK-AQ, or AA-77. And checking the flop is giving him a license to steal (just because he's tight doesn't mean he's not gonna bet his 10-10 to find out where he is).

Granted, this is not an ideal flop but sometimes you just gotta shove some chips in the pot. Close your eyes if necessary, bet the flop, and play poker from there!

[edit] one more comment: When you reraise preflop and get 2-way action you should be betting flop 100% of the time.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy could have as little as AK-AQ, or AA-77

[/ QUOTE ]

Words of a true loose-aggressive [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. You have some good arguments. My check-fold was very much player dependent and the first time I've ever done it. I would bet 1/2 pot or so most of the time. And if someone is calling a massive re-raise with AK-AQ, JJ->77 without deep enough stacks and proper implied odds, then I'm going to take his money later down the road.

Garland