Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: O/T ... Computer Issues , Part III

Just did it again, except I restarted myself, after sitting two minutes CPU temp is @ 55C and system is @ 43C... the computer only ran for 10 minutes though. My question is that it does run perfectly when it is working then crashes, so could it be the CPU or RAM, wouldn't they not work all of the time? Also on my BIOS PC Health screen the CPU FAN speed is @ 0 RPM, while the system fan speed fluctuates between 0 and 2556RPM, never staying on one speed, it is an aftermarket system fan though, so that might contribute to that misread. Should the CPU fan be running in bios? Should I be getting an rpm reading for it? could this mean that the motherboard is faulty and not kicking the fan on? I know this is vague but just some questions of mine... while typing this the temp has risen to 60C now.
~Justin
Old 12-01-2005, 02:00 AM

-The CPU fan is dead or dying and needs to go, like, now, unless you do not have it connected to the MB sensor.
-The system fan or the motherboard fan connector is also kinda screwed up but (probably) isn't causing your problem.
-50C is a good temp for modern processors after, say, 4 hours of Doom 3. 60C is way pushing it. Higher than that and you're eventually going to fry the chip unless it automatically shuts down, which it sounds like it's doing. Don't even bother running it anymore until everything's replaced.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:23 AM

Well I just bought a new system fan and she runs continuously with no problem, it is a heavy duty one and should be sufficient. I am going to replace the cpu fan tomorrow and it is going to be shut down until then, which will be tomorrow. Its funny that this one error code came up with abotu 1,000 problems searching the net, worse comes to worse I got a second hard drive out of it so we'll cross my fingers and see if the fan works tomorrow. Thank you guys SO much for the help so far, I will have to run some diagnostics tomorrow after I run it a few hours with a new fan.
~Justin
Old 12-01-2005, 02:25 AM

"The CPU fan is dead or dying and needs to go, like, now, unless you do not have it connected to the MB sensor. "

All that came with the AMD heatsink and fan was one 4 pin connector that goes to the motherboard, would this be just the power supply or is that the sensor as well?
~Justin
Old 12-01-2005, 02:28 AM

In most cases, that's both, and if it doesn't spin at all for whatever reason it should be tossed.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:33 AM

going to do so tomorrow, thanks again adanthar! many thanks!
Old 12-01-2005, 02:38 AM

Sure. Oh, for the record - error codes after a bluescreen don't mean much if anything. You want to Google for the symptoms and then use the process of elimination (heating's usually the first thing to check, FWIW.)
Old 12-01-2005, 06:58 PM

Well today I asked around some more and every one thinks it is the fan, I am hoping it isn't just the power supply not being able to run the fan, but anyhoo every store around me doesn't carry socket 939 fans so I had to order it so I am on the laptop for a few days now, so no poker, boo!
~Justin
Old 12-01-2005, 07:19 PM

Heating problems (if it is that) are easy to detect.

Go to the store buy a can of freon and spray the affected component. If that resolves the problem, then it is probably heat related. If not the probably not.

Your error messages, are they blue screens (i.e., Windows erros) or BIOS errors during the boot.

If you can get the system to boot, go into Device Manager/System and see if there are any errors.

Fans don't always run. Silicon computers generate more heat the harder they work.

Also, is your computer a home-built or a production OEM unit? That will trypically make a difference in reliability.

PM me if you still have specific questrions or problems, and I'll see if I can help you out.

Good luck.