Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: 80/160 hand against J.A. Sucker

Yeah he has to be full to check that turn with the flush draw out there. He could have AK though, although a lot of players would fire again in that spot.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:54 AM

Ok I've not read every post, but here are some comments:

PF - I'm not a big fan of playing a mixed style in fairly unique situations, where learning is less valuable. So I'd think Id always 3-bet here, especially on the net. But I'm not convinced that a pure strategy is right.

Flop: I'm extrapolating since I'd not likely find myself in this spot, but I'd play the flop stronger. There are a lot of 2s and 5s in the hands he doesn’t raise with pre-flop, and you are much more likely to dominate than be dominated.

For a steal and a flat call scenario, your hand is likely far too strong and his typically far too weak to let a standard flop chk-raise call go (or coupled with a chk on the turn). If the game is capped, then I’d cap; I don’t much play the uncapped flavour of LHE, but I’d still be tempted to 4-bet. You want to punish him here.

Flop - Turn: Now foe says that by overplaying the flop you are set up for the pop on the turn, to be outplayed, and this is certainly true, we’ve all been there (too often in my case).

But with one action you kill the hand stone dead. If you miss the turn or perhaps don’t hit a 25 or maybe 34, then you check, and in so doing you close the hand down. You aren’t getting played off it now. Your opponent is strangled, you’re not 4-betting that flop to check-pass this turn.

River: In this scenario, I think you’re more likely to bet the river Ace than get cute, simply because his bluff is less likely. But in your scenario, the chk-raise is very much in-play.

chaos
Old 11-30-2005, 06:30 AM

Great analysis on all streets. As the hand was played the river is a definite C/R oppurtunity. I like your analysis of the 4 bet option on the flop. I was disappointed to see this option not considered by more posters.

If you feel that you have the best hand here.. I think you need to put in some action. Yes you must consider the possiblity of opening yourself up to being outplayed on the turn... but if you are good enough to play in this 80 game then you are good enough to make the correct tough decisionss on the turn.

The 4 bet and then check call are certainly an interesting line that would be very confusing to JA and could also allow you to get in a c/r on the river. This line could get 1 more SB in the pot and not allowing yourself to get played off the pot.