Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Anybody else having problems trying to get into SNG\'s on party ton

I'm sorry. I feel so bad for all of you. You have it so tough. The physical labor must be overwhelming. I mean, there are people in sweatshops all over the world, but you have it far worse than them. Poor you. The best poker players makes thousands a day. Must be pretty rough.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been sitting at a $55 for 3 minutes and no one else has sat with me. What gives? These usually fill up in less than a minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a known shark? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 05:12 AM

"It" is something that nobody believes in until it happens to them. They think "It" is impossible, something that only happens to people who can't beat the game or control themselves.

I'm an idiot for trying to convince someone different each month that "It" is inevitable and poker isn't quite this easy.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
paid my tuition this year solely from poker profits. I put in a ton of hours, and that is the only reason I am able to "make a living".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dude, I'm not buyin it. I've read your posts -- you come in with answers that consistently disagree with almost every good player on these boards. That, of course, is fine. Everyone has to start somewhere -- all I'm saying is that based on what I've read from you, unless you play VERY differently than you advise others to play, you're not making a long-term living off poker. Maybe you're on a heater and so far doing really well. Either way, doesn't matter to me. I was only responding to you talking about this being an easy way to make a living.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if you got a decent education, you wouldn't be struggling so much, gramps.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I'm 26 -- I guess if that makes me "gramps," so be it.
2) I do have a decent education. I have a liberal arts degree from TCU. I'm also a member of MENSA. So I'd say I'm at least as smart and definitely (currently) better educated than you. I play poker for money because it allows me to continue to pursue music, which is my first passion but very expensive to succeed in on the level I'm after.
3) I'm not "struggling" -- what my post was referring to was that when you have a lot of financial obligations, poker doesn't seem like quite such an easy way to make money. Hitting a downswing when your mortgage is due or when your live-in gf's car breaks down can cause a big knot in your stomach, making this job less-than-easy. At least when you're working hard at a regular job, you know when your next paycheck is and how much it's going to be.

But nice try, junior.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:29 AM

I may very well have been on a heater, but I have paid my tuition this year just off of poker. I definitely still have a lot to learn, ergo my posting here. My ROI isn't impressive though, I merely put in 10+ hours per day. I probably play as much or more than anyone here, but would personally rather be home than somewhere else for 5-6 hours a day. I guess "easy" was the wrong phrase. My point is, it could be a lot worse. Be grateful for the opportunites presented to you.

Best of luck on the music scene. Yes, you're currently further in your education (don't really know standards for generic liberal arts degree), and you could even be smarter than me. It sounds like you're working hard towards a promising future, but your aspirations putting you in that compromising position (IE. music, house, etc. all off poker profits). Best of luck in your future and in no way did I mean this as an insult. Just amazes me what people take for granted, as everday I love the fact that I don't have to go to a crappy job to make ends meet.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 AM

Gracious reply - sorry if I was harsh on you (was just in a "fightin" mood for some reason tonight). We've likely hijacked this thread long enough. Lates.