Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Wannabe

I really want to be a LAG and win. Any suggestions?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Wannabe

In NL? Head to the appropriate forum and post this. In the SSHE Forum there are several posters who can describe what skills you need to work on. I think you will need mad post flop skills and proper table selection for starters.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In NL? Head to the appropriate forum and post this. In the SSHE Forum there are several posters who can describe what skills you need to work on. I think you will need mad post flop skills and proper table selection for starters.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying I need to post this again. God, that is way too much work. They'll probably be like, "Yo homie, you'sa gotsta' have mad hand reading skills and [censored]." And I won't understand them and smack someone with a lead pipe or something. Damn, I need to take my medicine.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying I need to post this again. God, that is way too much work. They'll probably be like, "Yo homie, you'sa gotsta' have mad hand reading skills and [censored]." And I won't understand them and smack someone with a lead pipe or something. Damn, I need to take my medicine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I haven't seen the posters who can help you in this forum. Posters like Fimbulwinter, The WorstPlayer and Ghazban in the SSHE forum are the ones you want to hear from.

My play is semi-loose, aggressive (trying to tighten up but those suited connectors are so tempting). I use position to my advantage and I struggle mightily with the fine art of check raising or re-raising with air (especially on the turn). I still think table selection is key. You will win a lot of small pots against a table full of rocks, but look out when a rock plays back! Against other LAG you better have mad post flop skills or you will be spewing chips.

What got you interested in converting to the dark side, er, playing as a LAG?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:20 PM

Good question. I think it has to do with Phil Gordon's DVD Final Table Poker. In it, he has a phony player named K.W., young black guy who could be representing Phil Ivey. Anyway, he mentions in voice over that K.W. had mastered all styles of play but given that he was short stacked he thought he would be playing tight. The idea that he knew how to play more than one style well got me thinking that it would be great to learn another style, especially for tournaments. I just got pwn3d in a 10+1 MTT and hated playing every minute of it. I stuck to my normal super-tight L1 game and tried to loosen up but the best hand I woke up to was a pair of nines which ran into slow played kings. Total hands played for the MTT: 4. Pair of nines, lost half my stack. Push AQ, push AJ, push Q3 on the button into AA (yippee).

My other reason is my huge mood swings. I'm bipolar and, if you can't tell right now, in a really weird mood. When I get like this I can't stand to wait for great hands and like you I want to raise with those suited connectors (they are pretty, aren't they?) but I've been playing TAG for about a year 1/2 and my brain just sends off all kinds of bad vibes when my fingers reach for a raise.

I definately want to have a larger range of hands but not playing complete junk at best it should look pretty. Raise it up with any pair when first in or with suited connectors down to 78. Play just about any hand on the button. Maybe just play every hand when on the button. I don't care about how much money it takes to learn another style.

Calling it the dark side just makes me want to do it more. I totally want to be Darth Vader and force choke Aces and Kings with 9T.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:58 PM

Good luck, my parting advice will be make sure that you practice at a lower level than you play now because your variance will be much higher.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Play 6 max.