Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 09-30-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Can the probability of God existence change?

I understand what you're saying, but this is off the point. The question is if the odds of other intelligent of life forms go down (say the human race is now 20 billion years old and has yet to come across any evidence of anyone out there), does this effect the probability of God's existence?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand what you're saying, but this is off the point. The question is if the odds of other intelligent of life forms go down (say the human race is now 20 billion years old and has yet to come across any evidence of anyone out there), does this effect the probability of God's existence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Talking to someone and thus changing some small part of your perception of God will probably have a much larger change in the likelihood of God existing than any indication of extraterrestrial life.

Or to look it another way; Consider the interval of the real line corresponding to the range for probabilities of God existing, corresponding to all sensible looking perceptions of God (whatever that means). If some bacteria were detected on Triton (Or a two headed humonoid form Betelgeuse wrote a top selling book), I think the change in the positioning of the interval would be negligible compared to the size of the interval.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:25 AM

My problem with the whole thing is that I think it's absurd to give a probability that a fairy tale exists. It shouldn't be either be between 1 and 0, but null.
And probability shouldn't be subjective. If it is, it's meaningless.
Shooby
Old 10-01-2005, 03:28 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
My problem with the whole thing is that I think it's absurd to give a probability that a fairy tale exists. It shouldn't be either be between 1 and 0, but null.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lukasiewicz rolls in his grave. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And probability shouldn't be subjective. If it is, it's meaningless.
Shooby

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Shooby

If god is a metaphysical comcept then I think you're right.

Most people are talking about religous views, aspects of which you can assign probabilities to. Take the extreme example of those who predicted the world would end on some date (I can't remember the date but its gone), the probability their religous view was right is zero.

chez