Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: standard? brantford 20/40

Whoa. This post has gone in a really weird direction. You 3-bet PF because you have THREE cold-callers and AK figures to have SIGNIFICANT pot equity edge over their hands. 4 sb = too many guaranteed bets to give up (being oop as others have mentioned means you are LESS likely to make those up later). Why are you afraid of building a pot here? If you whiff, being oop, the hand ought to be relatively easy to play. When you flop TPTK, with an aggressive raiser and a cold caller coming along, sticking in the 3rd bet with a decent chance of having the best hand and a str8 draw just in case you don't seems obvious. Continuing to bet until raised on both big bet streets is also "standard". C/R the turn is expert and might require a better read.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa. This post has gone in a really weird direction. You 3-bet PF because you have THREE cold-callers and AK figures to have SIGNIFICANT pot equity edge over their hands. 4 sb = too many guaranteed bets to give up (being oop as others have mentioned means you are LESS likely to make those up later). Why are you afraid of building a pot here? If you whiff, being oop, the hand ought to be relatively easy to play. When you flop TPTK, with an aggressive raiser and a cold caller coming along, sticking in the 3rd bet with a decent chance of having the best hand and a str8 draw just in case you don't seems obvious. Continuing to bet until raised on both big bet streets is also "standard". C/R the turn is expert and might require a better read.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really really dont think preflop should be up for discussion. maybe with 88 or even 99 you can just call here and c/r the field on safe flops sounds good. but AK, no way am i ever not 3betting it against this cast, period. the first cold caller is playing 70% of his hands here. the late position cold caller is never calling with any hand that i'm not way ahead of, period. so unless i put ep raiser on AA or KK, not raising is ridiculous.

as for the rest of the post, thanks. this is a really good post and just what i wanted/ needed to hear. i felt like there were better lines then mine, and i think you're right in that there are 2. i should've 3bet and gone from there. if i had had a read on teh range of hands the villian had, i think i would've gone for the turn c/r. but his play screamed AQ or AJ to me at the time, and going from online short handed craziness to live full handed makes me more passive.

as for the results, i seriously considered folding and put my cards between my fingers. but then i looked at the pot and figured i dind't really show the stength of my hand. so i called, ep showed A8s and i was one happy dude.

stealthcow-
Old 09-06-2005, 10:20 PM

You thought about folding?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:31 PM

It is not worth inducing mistakes in your opponents if you have to make a bigger mistake to induce their mistake.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:21 PM

I heard those Brantford 20-40s get pretty hot. They used to have a good 30-60 or 50-100 a while back. They still get anything that high going?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard those Brantford 20-40s get pretty hot. They used to have a good 30-60 or 50-100 a while back. They still get anything that high going?

[/ QUOTE ]

the brantford 20-40 is a great game. i asked around there last night and it doesn't seem like they ever really get anything above 20-40 going anymore.

i played 50-100 a few times there in may/june. they were late night/early morning games. always very short (about 4 players) and no more than 1 real donator at any point.

i've never seen a 30-60 spread there.

i wish these games would run more often though. if anyone knows of a regular 30-60 or 50-100 game in ontario, i'd like to hear about it. i know port perry used to have a game on tuesdays or wednesdays or something... does this game still exist?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:47 AM

It's been a year since I've played in Brantford, but it sounds as good as it always was.

EP probably has a weak Ace, QK, KJ,KK or some 2 pair hand like AJ, AQ, QJ or MAybe some drawing hand like 10's. If he has the 2 pair hands you can still catch up, but you probably need to knock out the LP player who might have a 10 or K in his hand. By betting into EP on the turn after calling the flop, theres a good chance he's raising his Ace again and knocking out the LP. You give yourself a better chance to win by buying some more outs if a K or 10 hits in case you need the two pair or straight.
I've played in this game enough times to be fairly certain of how the action will go down, and the probable holdings of your opponents. They're crazy, but but generally fearless. If you love wilder games and monster pots, you'll love this game!