Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:49 PM

Default hand from Pacific Trout final table

This was one of my more interesting hands from last night's Pacific 2+2 tournament. We're at the final table, 5 people remaining. Top 3 get paid, 5/3/2 payout structure. I've been pretty aggressive, as has the villain in this hand.
EDIT: Though the villain is 2+2, I don't know who she is.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

MP (t4225)
Button (t5745)
Hero (t11600)
BB (t12525)
UTG (t3405)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t400) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1200</font>, Hero calls t900.

Turn: (t2800) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t1400</font>, Hero calls t1400.

River: (t5600) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero does . . . ?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: hand from Pacific Trout final table

I think you're ahead. Usually when the BB makes a bet on the flop given the SB completed, making some sort of bet on the flop is mandatory for the BB.

I think you are ahead and he's got perhaps a mid-pair. The check on the turn makes me beleive its possible he's got a flush. Say it ain't so, but I'd bet 1/2 the pot.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:02 PM

I would think for awhile and bet 1500-1800 (blocking bet). It takes a lot of cahunas to bluff raise that river, so I would have no problem folding if raised.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:16 PM

I thought of check/calling (a bet smaller than 3k) on the river but probably durrons line is better. I'd rereraise already on the flop though - probably to 3.5k or so.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:13 PM

I was the villain in this hand, and I played this hand just @#%$&amp;^#% horribly.

I raised the flop and bet the turn on a bluff (I had Ac 6h) and then just gave it up on the river when you weren't going anywhere. I don't think that the flop raise was that bad an idea as it might have bought me the pot or at least a free card, but what free card is that great? Betting the turn was just spewing chips in a silly effort to chase you off your hand.

EDIT: Since I considered the whole tourney a learning experience, I was honestly concerned about playing too passively so I decided to take a poke a stealing the pot. In retrospect probably not the best choice.

Why did you just choose to complete the SB (if you don't mind me asking)? I was folding to you SB raises pretty consistantly.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Since I considered the whole tourney a learning experience, I was honestly concerned about playing too passively so I decided to take a poke a stealing the pot. In retrospect probably not the best choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I think it was a good idea, just unfortunate timing. I'd certainly been one of the more aggressive players at the table, and a lot of times you're going to end up stealing a pretty substantial pot this way.

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you just choose to complete the SB (if you don't mind me asking)? I was folding to you SB raises pretty consistantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. Basically, I was trying to mix it up some. I didn't want to raise your blind every time, because then I'm likely to get played back at more. I had a hand where I wanted to see a flop but didn't want to play it if I got reraised after trying a steal raise. So I decided to limp and keep the pot small, in this instance. As a bonus, if I limp occasionally with mediocre holdings, it allows me to limp with good holdings and get more aggressive action, or at least so I like to think (how effective this is is pretty debatable, and it definitely relies on fairly observant opponents.)

As to the original hand, durron's suggestion is exactly what I did and for that reason. I threw out a bet of 1500, wyrm folded.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:26 PM

I would have reraise the flop
Old 08-05-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have reraise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

To what end? It seems like this is likely to either snap off a bluff without extracting more chips or get me in serious trouble when villain actually does have a hand. Particularly since I had been quite aggressive, I think I can be bet into by worse hands reasonably often if I slow up here.