Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 06-27-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: AK when you don\'t hit the flop - a dumb question

You should usually raise from any position with AK, even if the pot has already been raised in front of you.

You wont pair your A or K on the flop about 1 third of the time, but that doesnt mean that you should always fold your overcards.

You will have about a 7 to 1 chance of pairing one of your cards on the turn, so you should now play your hand like a weak draw.

Thats because even if you do subsequently catch an A or K, top pair is not a strong draw like a flush or straight, as it will lose to a stronger hand more often by the river.

Some of the things to consider if you miss the flop are the texture of the board and how many other opponents are still in the hand.

Specifically you should be less inclined to play against many opponents and if the board is co-ordinated. So if the flop contains flush or straight draws you should consider folding if you are bet into and the pot is multiway.

However if you have a backdoor flush draw yourself, you would be more inclined to continue in the hand, at least until the turn.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:03 PM

No one said it was a dumb question (I don't think). It's an question that's crucial to your success at poker. However, it's too broad to be answered by just one post. Instead, keep asking yourself that question over and over, and go looking for answers in the numerous specific situations that fall into that category that are posted here each day.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:43 PM

it depends-LOLOL

Seriously, though, it really does depend. At .25/.50 paradise, at the tables I try to get-I will usually have3-5 hopeless opponents, a rock or 2 and almost always at least 2 players. If I have AK, I always toss in a raise, regardless of position-this is just too premium of a hand not too. Against one of the hopeless players, I will 3 bet or cap pf. When the flop comes down, and I don't hit, I rarely fold to one bet, unless there are several to act behind me and the flop is coordinated-in fact, if I am second in that situation, I will likely even raise the flop, especially if I have some rocks behind me-to possibly clean up my aces and kings. I don't think that is chip spewing (at that level) because I have picked up many pots with a turn bet after raising the flop. I have just moved up to .50/1 and after 500 or so hands, I don't think the opponents are drastically better, so I plan to continue to take this approach until proven wrong.

*edit-there is a section on AK in sshe*