Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Default EV question...

The thing that is confusing me is the number the EV stat pages (at pokerrom for example) give for the EV. I understand the +EV means I will make money playing this hand over the long run, and -EV is the opposite. What I don't understand is the number itself... the key says "The unit for EV is average profit in big bets." Does that mean that the EV for AA, listed at +2.32 regardless of position or players, translates to 2.32 x BB? Say at a 1/2 ring game, I should only expect $2.32 in profit from AA? That can not be right. Please help!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: EV question...

any help here?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any help here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be patient, grasshopper [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That is correct, on average. You're going to have lots of hands where you win more that 2.32 big bets with AA, but you'll also have many hands where your AA lose money. When you sum up all those wins and losses, and then divide by the number of hands you play, you'll get a number like 2.32 (obviously, the exact number for you will be different).

Edit: to put this in perspective, a good player can expect to make about 2 to 2.5 big bets in profit for every 100 hands they play (BB/100). This translates to .02 BB in expected value for any random hand. This means AA is 100 times better that the average hand you're going to see!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean that the EV for AA, listed at +2.32 regardless of position or players, translates to 2.32 x BB? Say at a 1/2 ring game, I should only expect $2.32 in profit from AA?

[/ QUOTE ]
The big bet in $1-$2 is $2, so the stats suggest that an average PokerRoom player would expect to win $4.64 with AA, more than three times the blinds put together. Keep in mind that when you win $4.64, the pot is larger, since it contains your bets, too.

I think AA should be worth slightly more than 2.32 BB on average in limit, but not twice as much. Average PokerRoom players may not play AA aggressively enough, or they may play passively with other hands so it is easier to get out of their way when they have AA.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:39 PM

ahhhh... I was reading big bets to mean big blinds, not the expensive streets, that changes things dramatically! I appreciate your answers everyone.