Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: PP 15/30 hand vs solid 2er

[ QUOTE ]
6 see the flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and its checked thru. Anyone bet here with it being contested 6 ways?

[/ QUOTE ]

With overcards, I like to bet these types of drawless flops, because I often have the best hand.

If the flop was 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], betting out wouldn't be a good idea.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:46 AM

This is partypoker, and the pot is 6 handed. Trust me, 8 8 5, is not a safe/drawless board to be value-betting ace high. As for calling the "solid" players turn raise, if you were in this solid players shoes would you raise the turn with 4 players to act behind you with a hand that AQ could beat? I think for the majority of us, the answer is Hell no. And that isn't even taking into account the 3 players that still have yet to act behind you and the fact you have no idea what they will do, because trust me, most players would check this flop and autoraise the turn w/ any 8, and probably wait to the river with any full house. That being said I would definitely fold on the turn in your position.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:02 AM

What is accomplished by betting the flop? I fully expect to get at least 4 callers by betting and I will know exactly nothing else about my hand. An eight is likely waiting to the turn to bet or check-raise.

Are you paying $15 to try and chase out A5 who will have the odds to call anyway? I don't understand. Betting with nothing in to 6 players and (hopefully) 6 outs just seems like chip-spewing to me.

Not being critical, I'm just dumb.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:05 PM

Default I\'m the \'solid\' one

I'm not sure if the turn raise was correct here but I'll give my thinking real quick:

One of the players behind me was fairly tight postflop, another was a real donk who would definitely not fold a queen here and could be drawing with 67 or a flush draw and Jeff definitely had overs here on the flop and if the Q hit him, I thought it would be hard for him to fold AQ or KQ but I wasn't sure. And any hand the sb would be taking a shot at on the turn into 5 people will almost always be calling the turn raise.

Also, I think just smooth calling the turn and popping a blank on the river (if Jeffo called the turn) would be too obvious of a play and would allow him to get away easy and not charge any draws of the other players.

I'm curious whether a K or an A on the turn would change some peoples minds about raising here because weaker hands that are drawing slim to dead would have a much harder time overcalling if I just call on the turn.

Tough spot Jeff but now that I think about it more your call here against my likely range of hands seems fine. Since its such a close decision, I'd make the call as a tilt insurance payment if you are as prone as I am to tilting after throwing away winners in big pots.

I'm also curious whether people think a flop bet is better here.