Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 01:24 PM

Default I had best month ever and im tilting??

This is so sick I just had my best month ever on november(by means of $$$) and still I started tilting at end of november and now whatever I do it seems like I cant get away from tilt back to my a-game. To be honest I dont even understand why im playing bad, but i understand that I play horrible at the moment. Could it be some subconscious feel of immortality?!

Any very simple sollutions for this? Others then "get back to your a-game"

To me this just doesent make a sense...
Old 12-02-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: I had best month ever and im tilting??

Same thing happened to me recently... I think, quite honestly, that it is easier to go on tilt after a hot streak. You're used to getting good cards, hitting all the flops, and not having people suck out on you. You start to think you've got the game "figured out".

Then, luck changes (sometimes slightly at first), and you start to sense the hot streak coming to an end. You start getting long runs of non-playable hands and a few bad beats. Pretty soon you're pissed because... because What The Hell Happened? Everything was going so well! This sucks! I just won a ton of money so obviously I'm better than these guys! I've got this game figured out! How can I be losing all of a sudden?

All of which ignores the inevitable swings (both good and bad) that statistically are bound to happen. I realized I'm not as good as when my luck is hot, and I'm not as bad as when my luck runs cold.

One book I read that I personally found helpful was "Zen and the Art of Poker" - has a lot of good tips for introducing steadiness and calmness into your game. Might wanna check it out.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:07 PM

Yes thats exactly what has happened. You spelled it out better then I. And im going to order the book immidietly [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2004, 07:34 AM

I have found that I am often tilting while in a winning streak. Playing too loose and going too far with my hands, playing bad draws and getting bailed out because I am getting hit with the deck. And then cards stop falling from the sky and BOOM! there goes a bunch of big bets before I realize that I have gotten sloppy. For me anyway, the time to fix my tilt problem is when I am still in a hot streak.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:01 AM

Read inside the poker mind from John Feeney. There's great stuff in there about how to deal with swings.

Read his essay on the sight. It's titled something like "How are you doing? Who cares? How are you playing?"

Swings suck ... but they are part of the game. We have to learn how to tame are emotional reactions. Do this by understanding what's happening.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:44 PM

Im happy to say I things its FINALLY over, tilt I mean, what it took was going to back basics. I.E starting to play 5/10nl full ring, instead of some [censored] retared-rigged-[censored] 6seat fixed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I think playing couple of small buyin live-tournaments and having fun in them helped a bit, 4rebuys in fixed limit tournament to get steams out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Also I think that when you drop something like 20k in two weeks you realize its better not to tilt. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]