Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Quick question

Too tight? This is the 2nd hand of the Super, so no reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t1005)
MP3 (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
Button (t990)
SB (t1005)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t100</font>, Hero folds...
Old 07-05-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Quick question

call. you can win a huge pot if you hit -- your hand looks too pretty too muck.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:19 PM

Reraise $300 and get it heads up. Your no worse than a coin flip here and best, or tied a lot of the time.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:28 PM

Even in a tourney with a relatively high buyin, raising standards during the first 30 minutes especially are pretty wide open. People will be raising with any of 20+ hands, a lot of which you beat or are a coinflip. Postflop you should be able to find out where you stand fairly cheaply. People don't often raise in relation to the BB so early in a tourney, so even though a 100chip raise seeems like a lot compared to the blinds, it doesn't hold much value this early in a tourney. Call and if you hand doesn't improve, let it go, but this is too good a hand to lay down before getting a read. Later if a supertight player made this move you could consider folding, but not here. If you flop a K or A and he makes a move, maybe you grit your teeth and lay it down. The odds of him rasing here with AQ, AJ, 99, and various other hands is too high to let this one go.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:11 PM

With all those early limpers, if you call, I'd guess one or two of the EP limpers are going to like the price they're getting and will come along for the ride; which means great pot odds, but also reverse implied odds that might cost alot when/if you can't get away from TPTK in a big multiway pot.

If it were me, calling would be my last option; I'd either reraise or fold. Either way, I don't think folding is that out of line.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reraise $300 and get it heads up. Your no worse than a coin flip here and best, or tied a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not good to completely ignore the possibility of AA or KK. Hero is most likely no worse than a coin flip but you have to include some possibility of being dominated.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:19 AM

I would re-raise knowing that if he pushes I'm committed the rest of my chips. Personally, I don't mind busting out on the 2nd hand if it means a decent chance of doubling up. Doubling up early in a Super (or any tourney) is a huge advantage. And I don't care if I bust out as I'll just move on to something else. I think folding is WAY too tight. I would say you are no worse than a coin flip against his range of hands which could easily include AQ/AJ even AT early in a Super.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:26 AM

hey Lloyd,

does you opinion change at all if it's AKo? just curious.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey Lloyd,

does you opinion change at all if it's AKo? just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. The value of the hand comes more from being AK than being suited. For example, against a hand like JJ you're going to win with top pair, two pair, trips, quads, or a full house six times more often than making a flush.