Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 12:40 PM

Default RAM allocation question; Inspiron 9300

Help Please!

I run into problems when muti-tabling at GamesGrid (choppy/slow performance), and I have been told this program uses an excessive amount of RAM... Please help me through adjusting RAM allocation?

I have an Inspiron 9300, 80gig HD w/ 512RAM. Its running on Windows XP.

I found where I think I can make the adjustments at: System Properties> advanced Tab> Performance Options> settings button> Advanced Tab> Virtual Memory> Change button. Now, it shows Drive C space avail: 53985MB, then offers 2 spots for Initial size & Max size #'s. At the bottem it shows "Total paging file size for all drives: Min 2MB, Recommended 766MB, Currently allocated 768 MB. What #'s should I type into the Initial & Max size fields? Is this even the was to get GamesGrid to run better? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: RAM allocation question; Inspiron 9300

bump !!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:57 PM

You're looking at the page file. Think of the page file as slower ram. When your system runs out of actual ram it writes things to the hard drive instead. The hard drive is MUCH slower so this will cause your system to perform slow. Changing these options will not noticably speed up your computer. What you need to do is add more actual ram to your system. That way, your system doesn't have to resort to using the page file.

If you're using Windows XP, right click on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Click Task Manager. Got to the performance tab. Under the "Physical Memory" section you'll see how much available ram you have left. If this is zero, thats bad. You can also go to the Processer tab and see which processes are using the most memory. That should give you a good idea exactly where all your ram is being used.

I haven't personally used the GamesGrid software. However, I doubt it uses all of your ram or anywhere close to it. You may be able to stop some programs which are using a lot of ram other than GamesGrid.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:15 PM

Unless the gamesgrid software is a POS, I doubt that it's taking up all your memory.

In general, let the system manage the pagefile. It does a fine job of it. Although, if your hd is very, very fragmented it might have some problems.

Defrag your HD, leave the pagefile management to the operating system.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:58 AM

Leave those settings alone.

Go to Start>>Run, type MSCONFIG, hit Enter

Go to the far right tab, that will list most of the apps loading in the background when you start the PC. You may find that there's a load of crap running in the background.

You can also use Regedit to look for even more things loading at startup, but you should only mess around in there if you don't need someone to tell you what to do.

it also doesn't hurt to reboot a computer whenever it starts acting weird. Amazing how many things that can fix.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:07 PM

Thanks for your help...
I ran the MSconfig, and 26 little boxes were checked. (Is this alot?) Anyways, I turned off 7 that seemed unnecessary, left any that were McAffe or spyware related, and left any that I didn't know what they were... (Digital Line Detect....? Apoint? Atiptaxx by ATI technologies?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 10:10 PM

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=5787

good tips to tweak the performance.