Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: \'Islam is the official religion of the state\'

[ QUOTE ]
So how do you guys justify American deaths over this? I thought we were supposed to bring freedom and democracy to Iraq. Instead, we've brought a religious theocracy. I am appalled at what is happening in Iraq and have no idea how any person that believes in democracy can support more American Soldier deaths over this joke of a constitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

You failed to articulate this, but there seem to be two provisions you're concerned about: that Islam is the official religion of Iraq, and that no laws can be passed that "[contradict] the undisputed rules of Islam."

Being worried that Islam is the official religion of Iraq is stupid. Are you trying to say that all states with official religions are theocracies? Like the UK or Italy? Or did you want to say that there's a problem with Islam in particular as a state religion?

The second worry is that no law is going to be passed that contravenes the undisputed principles of Islam. Wait, so no law is going to be passed that the overwhelming majority of Iraq's people feel is incompatible, beyond any doubt, with their devoutly-held religious beliefs?? Shocking. Explain to me how that's not just democracy?

I think the problem is that you liberals seem to be unwilling or unable to understand the fact that Iraqis have different beliefs than Americans. It's a far more religious society, with a religion that is far more involved with politics. The constitution guarantees democracy. It enshrines human rights, due process, and religious freedom. These things are the sine qua non of a democratic constitution. Imposing your philosophy on the relationship between religion and the state is another matter entirely.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being worried that Islam is the official religion of Iraq is stupid. Are you trying to say that all states with official religions are theocracies? Like the UK or Italy? Or did you want to say that there's a problem with Islam in particular as a state religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what Iraq's official religion is. My point was that Bush should not be sending American soldiers to die for a Constitution that mandates one official religion. That is not freedom or democracy. Being forced to practice one particular religion is not my idea of freedom (although you seem to have no problem with it). What if someone wants to be a Christian or an aethesist? That is illegal now just as it was under Saddam.

Oh, and comparing Iraq to the UK and Italy is stupid. Do you see why?

My idea of a democracy is that minority rights are protected. Under this constitution, religious minorities are squashed. Just because the majority of the population is Islam, you can't call it a democracy when minority religious groups are not allowed to practice the religion that they want to practice.

And my main beef is not that Iraq or any other country might have an "official religion" declared by its constitution, it's that American soldiers are dying to protect that constitution.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:37 PM

OK, America is a nation founded under GOD. How do you democrats justify this?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, America is a nation founded under GOD. How do you democrats justify this?

[/ QUOTE ]

GOD is ambiguous. Being founded under GOD doesn't require that you follow any one religion or even that you follow any religion at all.

Here is the full text of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:

[ QUOTE ]
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compare that to the Iraqi Constitution:

[ QUOTE ]
Article (2): 1st - Islam is the official religion of the state and is a basic source of legislation:
(a) No law can be passed that contradicts the undisputed rules of Islam.

[/ QUOTE ]

See how they differ? See how minority religious rights will be squashed under one constitution while being protected under the other?

I wish all you Republican Chickenhawks would put your money where your mouth is and go over to Iraq and fight for Islam. When you get there, and the insurgents start shooting at you, just remind yourself that although the Iraqi Constitution says that Islam is the supreme law of the land, George Bush says that you are really fighting for freedom.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:02 PM

Then why are all you "Democrat Athiests" trying to get it stricken out of the pledge, and off of the money, etc.?

Since the military is a majority Republican I can say that we are there, in full force. Are you marching on Washington right now? Didn't think so!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if someone wants to be a Christian or an aethesist? That is illegal now just as it was under Saddam.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Article 60....
2nd- The state guarantees freedom of worship....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's from your link.

Try looking over the whole document, not just one sentence. That way, you'll avoid making so many factual errors next time.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then why are all you "Democrat Athiests" trying to get it stricken out of the pledge, and off of the money, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with the contents of our pledge or what is written on our money.

[ QUOTE ]
Since the military is a majority Republican I can say that we are there, in full force. Are you marching on Washington right now? Didn't think so!

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that the military is majority Republican? Got a link?

Also, why should I be marching on Washington? I have no problem with our system of government.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:21 PM

CNN, Have you ever served in the military?

57% Bush, 41% Kerry.

You have obviously stated a problem that you have with our government in above posts! Do you need me to link to a post a couple above this one also? When's the march?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:46 PM

So you are free to follow any religion that doesn't conflict with Islam then. Great!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you are free to follow any religion that doesn't conflict with Islam then. Great!

[/ QUOTE ]

For a while, I was confused about the course of our discussion, but I've come to realize that you're just stupid. Everything is clearer now.