Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Vague post seeking vague answer.

I have a regular game that I play NL-wise that for the past 3-4 months of playing once a week I have been setting fire to money. I won't bore anyone with the details, but I've been definitively successful in limit and have had other successes in other NL games over the past two years (usually higher stakes ironically). But there's just this one game that has been a thorn in my side and I want to know why.

Obviously, without having sat down next to me and participated in the game and seeing specific hands, this is a tough question to field.

What I'm looking for is what the a NL player should be looking at when they are having trouble with a game. In limit, I'm comfortable knowing where to look for immediate trouble spots.

I also realize that there might be other factors coming into play. a) the game is very friendly and I'm letting my discipline lapse, b) see above and I'm not atacking stacks like I should be, c) the stakes are't big enough relative to my BR and I'm not taking the game seriously enough.

Alright, that's all. I'll probably look at this post several months from now and wonder how anyone could answer such a vague bunch of words and punctuation marks, but I await your responses with baited breath regardless!

- Jim
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Vague post seeking vague answer.

[ QUOTE ]

I also realize that there might be other factors coming into play. a) the game is very friendly and I'm letting my discipline lapse, b) see above and I'm not atacking stacks like I should be, c) the stakes are't big enough relative to my BR and I'm not taking the game seriously enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my response won't be vague at all.

I've never been to this game, and you have. You've identified these three points.

I suggest that these might be the source of your bad run at this game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Why are you playing this game? That might be the answer to your question.

I play a weekly game with my neighbors where I only play my C game (dealer choice guts and wild cards-r-us variety games). I don't want to crush these guys and only winning (or losing [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) $10 instead of $100 helps keep the neighborhood friendly. Many times when I am in pot against someone who is down for the night, I'll say something like, "Okay, I'll pay off your boat." Sure enough, he has a boat and the table is amazed at my 'ability' to read hands. Of course none of them ask why I didn't fold if I knew I was beat. The minute that happens then it is time to pull out the A game and get Medieval
Old 11-14-2005, 06:31 PM

It's possible that you are either not calling often enough, or calling too much. You are either giving your opponents too little credit or too much credit. Can you identify 3 regular players that make this game profitable?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 PM

Hey, BE -

My game now is much better now than it was when I made this post, but I still agree on the whole with what I said then. It's possible you are playing NL too much like limit, and if that's so, this may help you.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM

yeah, lot of pressure. You gotta rise above it. You gotta harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad. Feel the flow, BigEndian. Feel it. It's circular. It's like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down, and around. Circular. Circle. With the music. The flow... all good things.