Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Best / Worst City to Raise Your Kids

The responses are all cluttered with talk of suburbs. THE SUBURBS HAVE THREE BLACK PEOPLE PER 100 MILES.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Bottom line if you want your son to be a great football/baseball player then Texas, Florida or California are the best places. I know this is disregarding alot of other aspects just saying.

When I played HS baseball in Texas all the major tournaments were dominated by Texas, Florida, or Cali teams. Maybe some Georgia guys too. But the North East teams blew.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 PM

Yes, a lot of 20-somethings who were not raised here complain that St. Louis is a difficult place to be a 20-something. People survive in far worse and smaller places. Just depends on what you expect.

St. Louis City Schools do suck. Unless you get in one of the Magnet Schools. I think Metro HS is ranked as one of the Top 100 HS in the country. County kids go there.

And yes, there are black people in the suburbs. Asians, Hispanics, Vietnamese, Bosnians. We don't discriminate. As long as you have green. You want to segregate yourself, that's your problem, not mine. Seriously. I'm a real estate agent. I have no problem showing any house to any person who can afford it.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, I think St. Louis is a good place to raise kids.

[/ QUOTE ]
I grew up west of St. Louis, in the Rockwood School District, and have to say that my education was outstanding. I have no idea where it ranks nationally, but it has to be up there, because looking back I can see that my teachers were generally of very good quality, and there was a shitload of money spent per kid. Absolutely no need to send kids to a private school out there.

I'm a bit worried about the public school system in Nashville. I've heard it isn't that great, and there are so many private schools around that its probably true. But I can't imagine paying college-level tuitions for elementary through high school. What a back breaker.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line if you want your son to be a great football/baseball player then Texas, Florida or California are the best places. I know this is disregarding alot of other aspects just saying.

When I played HS baseball in Texas all the major tournaments were dominated by Texas, Florida, or Cali teams. Maybe some Georgia guys too. But the North East teams blew.

[/ QUOTE ]
add arizona in there too. the list should read texas/cali, arizona, florida.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:27 PM

I am a product of Williamson county schools (just South of Nashville) and I felt I received a wonderful education. My daughter goes to public school in Rutherford Cty (SE of Nashville), and my wife teaches high school there as well. We are both happy with is so far. As far as Metro-Nashville goes, I have heard from several teachers and students that you are better off going private.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:31 PM

I would definitely want to raise my kids in nyc. good public schools, mostly safe, lots of culture and experiences. plenty of sports if that's what they like, plenty of outstanding private teachers if they want to take any sort of lessons, etc.

plus everyone I've met who's grown up in nyc I would say turned out remarkably well.

I grew up in raleigh, nc. it's also a great place to raise a family but like anyplace it's not as safe as you think. my high school had drive by shootings, guns, drugs, you name it. scoring an 8ball in high school was infinitely easier than getting a 6 pack of beer.

--turnipmonster