Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Why Democrats are tagged as the party without values

[ QUOTE ]
You know, the opinion most Americans (old people) form of pop culture is really lousy. They focus on the stuff on the worst of it, and try to cast every piece of music in that shadow.

And some of the music coming out, unlike the late 90's, is actually GOOD.

"Hailie's Song", "Stacey's Mom", "Fallin", "Numb", give those a listen. Some of my personal favorites to come out lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have got to be kidding me...This has to be one of the worst decades of music since the 1840's. There are a few good groups still around, but thanks to MTV the music scene in this country has gone to hell...
Old 01-14-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh...I didn't realize a poll was taken.... That must mean most Americans agree.

So, if 1000 carefully selected individuals are polled do you really think that is an accurate number? You really shouldn't use a poll as your basis for an arguement. Not very effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

So his poll has less value than your gut feeling? Hard to fathom.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh...I didn't realize a poll was taken.... That must mean most Americans agree.

So, if 1000 carefully selected individuals are polled do you really think that is an accurate number? You really shouldn't use a poll as your basis for an arguement. Not very effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

So his poll has less value than your gut feeling? Hard to fathom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a gut feeling... I can see what is going on in the country. Granted there are millions of folks that agree with everything listed, I don't think it is the majority though. They are using the election as an argument, however they forget that 4 short years ago this same president lost the popular vote. Anyway, this whole majority issue is pointless...A majority only applies in a true democracy, we are not a democracy. This means that people have to live with others that hold different values than theirs. I wish someday we grow up and learn how to do that.....
Old 01-14-2005, 09:32 PM

The decade isn't over yet. Just getting away from pop = +EV. And MTV isn't everything.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:37 PM

It's still early in the decade. The late 90's with all it's pop was definitely lousier than right now. Just getting away from that makes it better. And rap isn't the only thing out right now. MTV isn't everything in pop culture right now.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The decade isn't over yet. Just getting away from pop = +EV. And MTV isn't everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know MTV isn't everything, but you can't deny it's evil influence on the scene. By the way when I said the decade I meant the last 10 years, fake R&B and bubble gum punk was on the menu for the most part.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's still early in the decade. The late 90's with all it's pop was definitely lousier than right now. Just getting away from that makes it better. And rap isn't the only thing out right now. MTV isn't everything in pop culture right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know it isn't the genre that is the problem...It is the lack of talent that bugs me. If they have a certain look then they cut an album. It seems that the less talented the more popular they are. Seems like corporate america has pretty much taken over.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:41 PM

Let the sheep have their garbage. There always has been terrible popular music and always will be. i do dislike the public's appearant disdain for TALENT, though. but what do i know? all of the music i listen to was made by long dead dreamers for whom the world was not yet ready (imo).
The best modern music can be found in local bars and obscure festivals, at raves and on streetcorners... but not on MTV.

do you remember the simpson's chalkboard gag where bart writes "I no longer want my MTV" i think that just about says it all.

but...
have you listened much to Franz Ferdinand?
as far as semi-mainstream modern rock goes, they are my favroite new band in a long, long time.

and there's always punk rock.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have got to be kidding me...This has to be one of the worst decades of music since the 1840's. There are a few good groups still around, but thanks to MTV the music scene in this country has gone to hell...

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that in this decade Ashlee Simpson and Lindsay Lohan can get recording contracts, I couldn't agree more.