Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Default did i overplay the river?

MP1 is >50 vp$ip and aggressive.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB
Old 11-04-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: did i overplay the river?

no
Old 11-04-2005, 10:03 PM

No but I'd say you underplayed preflop. I'd raise.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 PM

Preflop raise, and no you did not overplay the river. Your obviously not beaten here, suck'em dry.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:17 PM

Based on the Hero's subject, I suspect that he was beaten here. But that's the exception and not the norm.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:37 AM

I would raise pre-flop.

I would also be more aggressive on the flop. You've got a double gutshot straight draw, a backdoor flush draw, and an overcard. In this case also, if an Ace comes on the board, it's less likely to have made someone a straight since you hold a ten.

Play on the river depends on my read. If MP1 is a maniac, I bet and re-raise. If he is tight and unimaginative, I only call his raise.

Since you read MP1 to be aggressive, and since no one raised this pre-flop, you're probably not up against JJ or QQ. It's also unlikely that someone would have chased 55 so long. Given MP1's VPIP, he could be playing hands like Q8 or J8, which should concern you.

Although quads are generally rare, I think that MP1 having 88 is a legitimate possibility in this hand (it would explain all the actions).

You need to be wary of MP1's raise on the river when the third flush card came with three others in the pot (especially since the way you played the hand from his perspective screams that you likely have a flush). I doubt MP1 is on a flush himself given the flop and turn play. So, his raise likely represents that he can either beat a flush or that he's in maniac mode with a fairly weak hand (or that he discounts the flush as a possibility since it was a backdoor).

It takes a real maniac to bluff raise into three players with a flush possibility out there. So, I am more inclined just to call this river bet. But, as I said, this is very read dependent.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:10 AM

I'd play it the same but when he caps the river i'd be sick and tempted to fold but in a pot this big it seems you have to call.

Suppose an argument could be made for bet/call on the river it's gotta be close.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose an argument could be made for bet/call on the river it's gotta be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at the other responses i guess it's not that close. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 10:15 AM

grunch

you underplayed every other street so badly i cant even get to the river....

preflop raise

flop you have a dbb rainbow with a bfd and 6 players, thats massive equity. you need to find a way to cap this, or at least get as many bets in as possible.

turn you pick up a flush draw as well, gotta lead....

after all this the hand just plays too differently to continue