Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: WSOP Pay Per Veiw

PPV, I say no way. No taped event will ever succeed for big $ on PPV.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: WSOP ME on PAY-PER-VIEW???

Can anyone find out what the numbers were for those who tuned into the cardplayer broadcast? Helmuth mentioned they had more people tuning in than the Big Brother live feed, but I really dont know if that means anything significant.

It would seem that if the numbers where high for the audio, then one could analize the potential for a live pay per view video feed. It at least deserves proper analysis by those in the know.

I guess I'm a freak, but I loved tuning into this event and had to prop my eyes open with toothpicks until I finally gave out at 5 am and went to sleep.

I loved hearing pros like Helmuth, Harmon, Degreanu ( he and Helmuth are the best...IMHO) tell stories and analize the play, guess the potential hands, etc. With a little more organization and continuity I'd probably pay for the live audio feed, so I would definately pay for a live video of all hands. I love seeing every hand and trying to follow the logic of the players moves.

I also loved Turning stone, but didn't care for the Full Tilt Live.net as much for some reason.

Who knows, maybe the cost of production would be too high, but with some good planning, a good script, 5 minute delay, good instantaneous graphics with odds, I couldnt get enough.

But like I said, I'm a poker freak (except for the junk shows like celebrity poker)
Old 07-17-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: WSOP Pay Per Veiw

I agree. Let's hope ESPN keeps delivering the WSOP as it has and we don't have to start forking out for PPV. Imagine the rating if Raymer, Ivey, and Mastow made the final table -- I can dream can't I?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A ton of people stayed up all night just to listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you doubled the number of people who listed to ANY amount of that broadcast, it probably doesn't even register on the Nielsens for TV.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A ton of people stayed up all night just to listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you doubled the number of people who listed to ANY amount of that broadcast, it probably doesn't even register on the Nielsens for TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably true, but considering how popular poker is right now, they would still probably be able to get decent ratings showing the final table on cable. Just think about how much crap there is on cable that you can't believe people are actually watching.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN wouldn't allow anyone else to show it PPV since they ahve the rights to it locked up. ESPN itself wouldn't likely have it, partly because it was so damn long and partly because watching uneited poker can be awfully boring. I don't think a lot of people will be paying $50 and staying up until 6:30 to watch people fold to the big blind.

And...why would Michael Jackson be involved in the WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

A ton of people stayed up all night just to listen. I would love to see the entire final table on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "ton" ... I, too, would PPV, but we have to realize that we are a small group of people with no social lives, listening (on the Internet) to someone else who is watching poker without knowing the cards. And I thought televised fishing was bad. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

NCAces
Old 07-17-2005, 01:31 PM

good point
Old 07-17-2005, 01:56 PM

"I guess I'm a freak, but I loved tuning into this event and had to prop my eyes open with toothpicks until I finally gave out at 5 am and went to sleep."

i'm right there with you my fellow freak. not only was i listening to the commentary but i had the speakers cranked at about 2 or 3am trying to hear everything else that was going on in the background.

"I loved hearing pros like Helmuth, Harmon, Degreanu ( he and Helmuth are the best...IMHO) tell stories and analize the play, guess the potential hands, etc. With a little more organization and continuity I'd probably pay for the live audio feed, so I would definately pay for a live video of all hands. I love seeing every hand and trying to follow the logic of the players moves."

poker freakes unite and demand all 240 hands live, all 14 or 15 or however many hours it was.

i'll go even further and ask for complete coverage of the final three tables. i've got my $29.95 standing by.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:04 PM

but all tables would have to have cameras for the hole cards.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:41 PM

the cardplayer.com audio was far more informal and entertaining than any production they'd likely make for live pay-per-view tv and i hope cardplayer keep this up going forward, it was fantastic