Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Am I supposed to push here?

PP MTT
Down to about 300 players, top 100 get paid.
Blinds at 50/100.
I'm in the BB with T900.
I have a very tight image at the table, haven't seen a lot of flops and haven't made any big moves.
Loose passive MP, chipleader at our table with T3200, open limps, LAG SB (T1,500) completes. I have 4-5o. I push, hoping to pick up the blinds. I'm pretty sure SB will fold and there's a pretty good chance MP would lay his hand down as well, he laid his hand down to a big pf raise a couple of hands ago.

Is this a reasonable move? Is this the right time to make this sort of move? I'm new to MTTs and I seem to nearly always fail to build a big stack early and just end up getting blinded down waiting for premium hands to play...
Old 02-19-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Am I supposed to push here?

Pushing into the loose-passive chipleader with 45o is never a good play with your stack size. Take advantage of the fact that he calls too much by pushing into him with a real hand. That being said, I do this play all the time.It works better if they have a smaller stack and the opponent plays tighter.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:36 PM

I do not like it, but thats just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:52 PM

I don;t like the move either, you have almost nothing committed ot the pot, out of position against a bigger stack almost almost gaurenteed a better hand than yours,

your raise wasn't enough to do much but give him pause if you bet out on the flop and he misses.

Wait for position, or at least a hand, loose players in these situations with a lot of ships won;t give you much folding equity