Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Baked Potato: Cooking Instructions, Please

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't feel like making a whole new thread, but anyone have any good quick sides or dishes to make with potatoes? For example breakfast hashbrowns? I can't seem to ever make them as good as any breakfast restaurants, then again i suck at cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

chop up some bacon. cook it in a big cast iron frying pan. remove bacon. put in some chopped up onions. when golden, remove with a slotted spoon. take some sliced par-boiled potatoes and give them a quick browning in the leftover bacon grease, adding oil/lard/whatever if needed. add bacon/onions back in and mix, letting heat up for a while. if you want add some paprika/salt/pepper/whatever at this point; i don't add anything.

way better than any diner or whatever.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't feel like making a whole new thread, but anyone have any good quick sides or dishes to make with potatoes? For example breakfast hashbrowns? I can't seem to ever make them as good as any breakfast restaurants, then again i suck at cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hashbrowns at restaurants suck, blend up a ton (you will need more then you think) of potatoes and put them in a huge frying pan with a ton of canola oil on medium heat. Mix alot and then after they are becoming clearer and not as crunhy, turn the heat on high to brown it. Then put a ton of garlic salt on it and your ready to go. They are usually more mooshy then Hash Browns at restaurants but I like them much better this way.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, how do you cook a baked potato? I, of course, did a google search. Tonight, I'll be cooking at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oven about 450 degrees. Take some butter and rub the entire outside of the potato with it. Use some kosher salt and rub that onto the butter that's on your potato. Put it in the oven for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take the potato out, flip it over, and jab it with a knife a few times. Let is cook for another 30 minutes. That'll do it.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:41 AM

first grab the oven door and put it in theposition it needs to be. then get it real hot. like 375 degrees. then take your potato and place it on a bed of your choice. rub the butt er all over until its greasy and your hands slide around ever so smoothly. then thrust your potato into the hot steamy oven until it is no longer hard. and remove slowly the soft potato with your hand. now dinner is waiting for you.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
first grab the oven door and put it in theposition it needs to be. then get it real hot. like 375 degrees. then take your potato and place it on a bed of your choice. rub the butt er all over until its greasy and your hands slide around ever so smoothly. then thrust your potato into the hot steamy oven until it is no longer hard. and remove slowly the soft potato with your hand. now dinner is waiting for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was much better than the pics.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:33 AM

I don't make regular baked potatoes. I get a bag of some small red new potatoes. Cut them into quarters. Put them into a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and whatever other flavors you want (I usually use either dill or paprika).

Put them into the oven at 450 for 15 minutes, then flip them over and put them back in for another 15 minutes.

Enjoy!
Old 11-06-2005, 03:56 AM

Another good way to cook a potato. Is if you have a lot of leaves. Rake them up. You should have enough leaves for about 6-7 hours of buring. Throw the potatos into the middle of the burning leaves. Cook unitl you are out of leaves. Potato skin should be chard black. Do not eat the skin. Cut open and season to taste.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:45 AM

This may or may not be clear to you.

Wash the potato!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 AM

Preheat oven to 425 (Bake, not broin)

Wash said potato.

Stab several times with a fork.

Put said potato in oven.

Put timer on for 1 hour.

When the timer thingie dings, stab potato to test for doneness. It should be soft, and skin should be a bit crisp.

Eat.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This may or may not be clear to you.

Wash the potato!

[/ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that washing potatoes is very bad because they soak up the water and that is bad for some reason (same tendency which makes them soak up oil, which is good for some reason) and you should just clean with a dry paper towel. Can anyone confirm?