Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 03:24 PM

Default My first 100 BB downswing (OT)

My jump to 3/6 was going so well too. Now I feel like I'll never have a winning session again. 100 BB down this week. My hands are getting rivered by so much rediculous garbage that I could probably start an "online poker is rigged" thread and almost believe it.

I need some moral support. Tell me it will be ok!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:31 PM

Default Re: My first 100 BB downswing (OT)

It happens.

If your confidence and game are suffering, and you still want to play poker, do what I do: play as many .5/1 tables as you can physically handle. I find it very soothing.

The money doesn't mean anything, the play feels simple, and it's easy to remember things like raising for equity, betting the river for value, etc., etc.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:32 PM

Here are some reassuring numbers for you (anecdotal evidence, but still):

I went from a 250BB bankroll to a 125BB bankroll in a weekend of play. That was four weeks ago. Said bankroll now sits at 400BB (with another 100BB downswing in the interim).

Play on.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your confidence and game are suffering, and you still want to play poker, do what I do: play as many .5/1 tables as you can physically handle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this as well, and I think it helps. If I'm in a rut, the cards are cold as can be, and the suckouts are bothering me, I'll 4-table .5/1 and just let the cards wash over me. Very soothing.

I also just hit my first major downswing at 2/4. Through 5k hands I was running about 4BB/100. After 8k hands, I'm now down to about .01BB/100. It's been frustrating, to say the least.

I decided last night to make a trip to Canterbury for some brick and mortar action. I figured this would be a nice change of pace, and give me a chance to focus on reading other players (one of my weaknesses). Played some 3/6 and 4/8 and had a great time. Except for one horrendous hand, I played well. Made some good reads, and had a very fun time just playing some cards and focusing on the players around me. Now I'm ready to get back to 2/4 this weekend and hopefully kick some ass. If you have a local card room, I'd recommend this as another option to help break out of a funk.

Good luck,
Old 11-19-2004, 03:48 PM

Oh, and I meant to mention in my first post that I also broke my finger last night, which makes controlling a mouse difficult and slightly painful. What a week.

I'd like to blame my slump on variance or even something more cosmic like Bison taking down the converter, but I think it's bad play. I checked my stats for 3/6 (2000 hands) and they were good until I got to aggression factor. Flop and turn aggression are both over 4. I think I'm getting good hands, raising preflop, and just continually betting and raising them even when I miss the flop. I probably need to take a few days off, but it's hard with a Eurobet bonus (2000 raked hands) and PokerNow bonus (800 raked hands) to clear plus a Party reload waiting for me.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My jump to 3/6 was going so well too. Now I feel like I'll never have a winning session again. 100 BB down this week. My hands are getting rivered by so much rediculous garbage that I could probably start an "online poker is rigged" thread and almost believe it.

I need some moral support. Tell me it will be ok!

[/ QUOTE ]

wait till you hit a 200-300 BB downswing...its almost enough to make you want to quit.........almost [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 03:50 PM

I decided last night to make a trip to Canterbury for some brick and mortar action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uck, I totally forgot that I also lost about $400 at the Trop in AC on Saturday at 6/12 and 4/8 as well. $1000 in a week. Hurts so much.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:59 PM

Hi mistrpug,

In addition to the above-mentioned ideas, which I like, I also find it soothing to go back and spend some time reading the 2+2 archives. It's nice to know you're not alone. After a crushing downswing where I'm starting to play scared, I'll read about David Ross's unbelievable swings when he was just starting out...and think about where he is now. Your confidence, aggression, and desire to play will come back sooner than you expected.

Good luck.

Jeremy
Old 11-19-2004, 04:06 PM

I felt the same way while I was in the middle of a 260BB slide. I took a break from poker all together for a few days, came back and just kept playing. I've got it all back now and more.

In hindsight, I should've taken the break earlier into the downswing. Just those couple days off from playing can clear your head of the doubt and get some confidence back.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:15 PM

Default You know this, but you\'re going to be fine

Many great suggestions in this thread.

Regarding bison's "play down" suggestion, I think this is great as long as you find it soothing or therapeutic. But if the nasty suckouts and stupid fishy plays are what really drive you up the wall, you may cause yourself more harm than good playing down. If this is the case, a day or two off is likely your best remedy.

For what it's worth, I'm still bracing for my first truly devastating downswing. And doing so by over-protecting my bankroll. I think this is probably stunting my growth as a player somewhat, but I've been doing so well at 3/6 that I've refused to give 5/10 an honest shot (despite a >500 BB roll for that level). At some point, whether it's at the new level, or at 3/6, I'm going to get pounded for 200 big bets in one fell swoop, and I want to be emotionally ready. It gives me comfort to know that a 200 BB downswing at 3/6 would not even chop out 1/5 of my current roll.

Over-protective? Yes. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Prepared for adversity? Also, yes. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]