Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Another limit adventure - fundamentals : being dominated sucks

Hello all,

Ive just played my usual session of limit just for relax. Besides that I donated little money to 5/10 regulars I came across this problem :

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

River: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

How's my play ? Is calling a raise with this hand ok or bad ? Is calling down line ok ? or should I raise and fold to 3bet somewhere ? Villain seems pretty standard, didnt make anything strange yet but I dont exactly know what his raising hand range is here; assume its standard for 5/10 (whatever that mean).
Thanks for help
Old 08-17-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Another limit adventure - fundamentals : being dominated sucks

hand was played way too passively
preflop call is fine IMO, but need to either c/r teh flop or the turn. that was u have a better way of knowing where you're at.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop call is fine IMO, but need to either c/r teh flop or the turn. that was u have a better way of knowing where you're at.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 08-17-2005, 08:49 PM

im check-raising the flop
Old 08-17-2005, 08:52 PM

Hmm I would like to know what my standard plan should be here. Checkraise flop and fold after 3bet and turn bet ?
Checkraise flop and bet if only called ?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

not very constructive.. i dont see the point in posts like these.

i'd c/r flop and if just called, lead out on the turn. fold if he raises on the turn.

if he 3bets the flop then i'd call and then fold to a bet on the turn if unimproved.

however, AT is not a very +EV hand against a raise so i'd play it as carefully as i could. (i cant help the c/r though. maybe this is why my AF is &gt;3!)
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 PM

I would have folded preflop. (I don't like ATs versus a raise very much.) However, MP3 could be trying to isolate MP1, and you are at least suited, so I don't think the call is terrible, from the SB.

Postflop seems all right to me, really. The pot's only 3-way, and if you're ahead, MP1 probably doesn't have much chance of outdrawing you anyway, on that flop, so putting pressure on him doesn't seem all that essential to me. And you're probably either way ahead or way behind MP3.

Checkraising the flop could be a way to try to figure out which it is, but doing so also provides information for MP3. And if, for instance, you checkraise the flop and get called and then get popped on the turn, you've only saved one small bet over just calling down, at the cost of giving up your chance to spike your kicker on the river (which would be worth about one SB at the moment when you'd be folding).

If your checkraise gets 3-bet, then that could save you money if you then check-fold the turn unimproved. But MP3 won't necessarily cooperate like this. And while I don't think your opponent will 3-bet with a hand like QQ and then fire again on the turn particularly often, it will happen occasionally and will cost you money when it does.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you post this?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:40 PM

I'll bite. I don't like the call preflop, but it's close. I'm probably folding unless this player is a very aggressive preflop raiser or has made more than his share of attempts to steal blinds.

Assuming I'm playing the hand, I definitely check raise the flop and lead out on the turn if not 3 bet on the flop. If 3 bet on the flop, I call and check-fold unimproved on the turn.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:41 PM

The title, being dominated sucks, gives away the ending or is very misleading.

I have a tough time understanding why calling down is a better line. But if you're going to do that, then how about c/c c/c b/f?