Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Alcohol, been sober for 10 monthes ok to drink in moderation?

I used to drink heavy, about 5-9 drinks almost every day for years. All I'd do is sit around, drink all day and play poker online, my health got bad. I'm 25 now and been 100% sober for 10 monthes now. I've read on the internet that alcohol is good for you in moderation, about 1-3 drinks per day. I'm thinking about trying that. Is this ok? Will it hurt my game? Will it F*ck up my life again?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Alcohol, been sober for 10 monthes ok to drink in moderation?

No.

Absolutely do not drink again.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:32 AM

Ya I don't think you should drink at all either. It appears that you have some addictive characteristics (i.e. alcohol and gambling) so you are lucky to have defeated the alcohol bug when you had the chance. Alcohol while playing is a bad idea regardless. You really need to be sharp while playing, especially if playing for long hours.

On a side note it still amazes me how many people come here for life advice. This is internet gambling, not internet life advice. I guess people freely give it here at the zoo (even myself) and thus people will continue to post...but I don't know how much I would rely on people who internet gamblers and not doctors or psychologists. I guess the average joe might be more apt to help your needs initially though.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:33 AM

No drink dude. If you do you'll be right back where you started.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Contrary to popular belief, alcoholism can be overcome. Most people do not have to abstain for the rest of their life once they have conquered their addiction.

Sure, you could possibly regain bad habits if you are reckless, but this is not preordained. Al Anon pushes the lifetime addiction idea, but they are wrong. Just be responsible.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a side note it still amazes me how many people come here for life advice

[/ QUOTE ]

I think something you forget to understand. Its the fact people look for people to give them the answer the want to hear.

Post a question here no matter how outrageous it is someone will agree with it. So the thought is validated and they think that it is allright to do it.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:43 AM

I personally think that you and only you should make this decision. I think you are looking for a scapegoat of our approval or disapproval in the matter. I use to drink heavy, now I am 6'4 320 pounds and diabetic. I still tend bar but I have not had a drop in over a 2 years. I would have to say don't do it, it is better for you to stay away completely, What I think you are refering to is the old "Glass of wine with dinner" debate. Drink Water!!!

Living, Learning, Laughing.
Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 11:45 AM

you beat me to the post by 2 minutes LOL that is what I said a few lines down.

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 11:55 AM

Sigh...

I'm assumming this post is a troll.

On the freak possibility is not and because this topic is near and dear to my heart, I will respond.

1. You have big problems. This site is not where they will solved. The fact that you posted the question you did on this site and this forum is a clear indication of that.

2. If you have been sober for 10 months and really did drink that much before, ask yourself "How is my life different now?" Seriously, sit down and think about your answers. Ask yourself "If I start drinking again, at ANY level, what will I get out of it?"

3. Some poster kindly pointed out that alcoholism can be beat. Fricking wonderful! He speaks the truth but what is the point. You can actually win the lotto but just because it is so doesn't necessarily mean every person should necessarily be playing the lotto. If you like challenges then maybe trying to drink again to see if you can "beat" alcholism would be fun. Just keep in mind that a "couple" people have tried to beat it before. I'm sure your aware of what the win/loss ratio is. You better be damn good, many who are better than you have failed trying.

4. Are the rewards worth it? You hinted that drinking brought nothing or very little except misery. Are you missing misery? If you are, then by all means start drinking again. It sure was fun, never leaving the house and drinking all day wasn't it? Also, if you play poker to win money then you should definately start drinking again because we all know that people who are drinking not only win more money but they win more frequently. I'm sure you could give testimony to this.

To summarize, if you can answer the question honestly "Why do I want to drink again and what benefits will come from it?" then I believe your off to good start.

If your still struggling stop into a local AA meeting.

They are wild and whacky but it is definately the 2+2 of drinking. They've done it all and know it all.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:01 PM

Are you an alcoholic? If you don't know the answer to this question you need to figure it out. Go to an AA meeting. They're free, anonymous and will help you find the answers you're looking for.

If you are an alcoholic you simply can't handle alcohol. Moderation will quickly turn to excess. Your life will certainly be adversly effected.

If you're not an alcoholic you should be able to drink in moderation. Drink socially only. Never drink alone (yes this includes while playing online poker). If you can't handle this you probably shouldn't drink at all.