Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Negreanu

[ QUOTE ]
Who really cares about the main event anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of about 5 million reasons to care about the main event! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Doc JS
Old 08-20-2004, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he seems to have more _fun_ playing poker than anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

well...is he having more fun because he's winning or is he winning because he's having more fun? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Doc JS
Old 08-20-2004, 10:58 PM

I have only read a couple of the post and I didnt get to see the wsop episode but from what ive seen and read about Daniel N. is the he's a smart and guy and knows what he's doing plus who knows how many hands of his we actually got to see. Anyways hes not just going to keep playing poorly. If the players were truly unbluffable he would have figured that out before he busted out imho anyways.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:58 AM

To: sthief09. I agree with you. He probably thought all of the other players were trying to bluff him, and he, one of the biggest bluffer's, (besides Gus) just didn't want to be out-bluffed. He played like this was his first poker game. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2004, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No I'm saying that the Main Event this year had 2600 people in it and even the best pros in the world would have trouble winning it. If I were Daniel I wouldn't feel bad about the main event, because he won the AAPA, which he felt was more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse Me! The AAPA was more important than the WSOP? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2004, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Excuse Me! The AAPA was more important than the WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep that's exactly what I'm saying. How many events did Fossilman place in before the main event? Nothing against Greg, he must have played fantastic in order to win, but as far as the WSOP as a whole, Daniel played the best. His main event was pretty bad, but he won a bracelet and had multiple final tables.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:24 PM

In a large multi-table tourney (any tourney whether it be the world series or an online tourney) the laws of physics (good poker theory) do not hold good until about after 1/3rd of the time when 2/3rd of the players have been eliminated. Basically, the game is somewhat of a crapshoot until such a time when good players prevail over the bad ones and poker regains its sanity and the laws of physics are in command again. Therefore, it is no surprise when A-A loses to J-3 two pair made on the river or a set losing to flush made on the river. We all (the Internet pussies) know this and it is a shame that old hand poker pros did not know this. During this early stage of the game (which I call the Dark Ages) a player has to learn to lay down even a winning hand in there is a chance that it is likely beaten.

Of course, one could always ask the question who the hell are you to judge the great masters?! Well, I feel it is just a matter of time before the Internet players will shine with the old hand pros in equal luster at the final table. Just a matter of time. Perhaps, even the next world series when no pro will make it past us internet pussies to the final table...
Old 08-22-2004, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Excuse Me! The AAPA was more important than the WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep that's exactly what I'm saying. How many events did Fossilman place in before the main event? Nothing against Greg, he must have played fantastic in order to win, but as far as the WSOP as a whole, Daniel played the best. His main event was pretty bad, but he won a bracelet and had multiple final tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad you can't pay the bills with awards.(I realize that in order to win the AAPA you had to make a lot of money, but he didn't make $5 mil)
I would take the $5 million before the award.
Even pros(daniel included) would rather win the main event. They don't really need the money, but to be the "world champion" is what its all about. Compare the prestige of the AAPA to that of the main event bracelet. Not close. Daniel was on crack when he said hed rather win best all around player.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would take the $5 million before the award.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good for you. I'd rather be remembered as a great poker player than just winning the main event at the world series of poker.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:40 PM

if you win the WSOP main event, you are "the man" in poker. You're called a World Champion for the rest of your life. If you win all around best player you can(usually) play a lot of games and a lot of games well. But if you never win the big one its kinda like going to 10 pro bowls in a row and being inducted into the hall of fame, yet never winning a super bowl.(maybe not the best example, because such a small % of players actually win the main event, but you get the point)