Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Euthanasia

I am writing a response paper to a young gir's essay on why euthanasia should be legalized. She had some interesting points:

"it is better we put them to rest so they can go on and never suffer anymore"
"would we want to pay for someone who has no hope of recovering?"
"Would Got want us to live our life miserably and suffer day after day?"
"If someone is suffering they should have the choice to die if they wish."
'Suicide is defined as the deliberate taking of one's life, whereas euthanasia means painlessly puting someone to death iin cases of terminal illnesses or comas."

Do those of you who believe that all forms (or if only for specific cases please state what they are) of euthanasia should be legalized, to these points ring true with you? If so, I have some questions I'd like to clarify.

Is there really a difference (besides the wording) of assisted suicide and suicide? Both are meant to end a person's life, and in both instances the person wants to die. Why are we sugarcoating it?
Does God not want us to suffer ever, or only if we have terminal illnesses? If never, then why cant a man just ask a doctor to give him an OD of a certain drug cause he is depressed?
Are we sure that we are ending a person's sufffering? Was Shiavo suffering? IMO she was a vegetable, not capable of feeling at all. IIRC, the husband stood to benefit from her death. Was he not engaged to another woman at the time of the decision?

Thanks in advance. I tried searching for these topics discussed during the Schiavo case, but the internet is hard.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Euthanasia

[quote"Would Got want us to live our life miserably and suffer day after day?"

[/ QUOTE ]
If you believe in God, it probably means you believe he takes you when it's "your time", not just when they're miserable.

[ QUOTE ]
"If someone is suffering they should have the choice to die if they wish."

[/ QUOTE ]
There isn't much you can do about this that doesn't involve fearsome government regulation of our lives to make sure we don't end them.

[ QUOTE ]
'Suicide is defined as the deliberate taking of one's life, whereas euthanasia means painlessly puting someone to death iin cases of terminal illnesses or comas."

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a reason why suicidal people need help instead of someone cheering them on to "pull the trigger". They're sick (mentally) and if they get help they will probably regret wanting to kill themselves. If you euthanize them, there's no going back.

[ QUOTE ]
Was Shiavo suffering?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone can know this.

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, the husband stood to benefit from her death. Was he not engaged to another woman at the time of the decision?

[/ QUOTE ]
More or less. He'd fathered children with this other woman, obviously with blatant disregard for "...in sickness and in health..." Take that fwiw.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 AM

How old are you?

The secular humanist will say, 'sometimes a life isn't precious and only that individual has the right to decide if and when.'

The degenerate secularist will say, 'who cares'

the libertarians will say, 'do what you want - just shut the hell up about it'

the religious conservatives will say, 'all life is precious and only God can take it away' then they'll drop about 15 five ton bombs near civilian houses in the name of Democracy and self-defense.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 AM

I like you BCPVP and for you I will add another group.

The christian libertarians will beg you not to take your life, but defend your civil right to do it.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How old are you?

The secular humanist will say, 'sometimes a life isn't precious and only that individual has the right to decide if and when.'

The degenerate secularist will say, 'who cares'

the libertarians will say, 'do what you want - just shut the hell up about it'

the religious conservatives will say, 'all life is precious and only God can take it away' then they'll drop about 15 five ton bombs near civilian houses in the name of Democracy and self-defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost 19. Why does this matter? just curious or what?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, just curious. I applaud your foray into objective thinking. I find it a nice hobby in my life and appreciate it when others have the same skill. God bless TwoPlusTwo!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 AM

I only hope that if I ever end up in an unrecoverable, miserable state, that someone I love knows me well enough to end it for me.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like you BCPVP and for you I will add another group.

The christian libertarians will beg you not to take your life, but defend your civil right to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, just curious. I applaud your foray into objective thinking. I find it a nice hobby in my life and appreciate it when others have the same skill. God bless TwoPlusTwo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm sure now you will hate me becuase I think that except in the most extreme cases it is morally wrong, just as suicide is, imo. I don't like being lumped into any of the groups you made, because they all have a problem with them.
First of all, I'm not a secularist, which takes down the first two. Also, I despise the fact that large numbers of civilians are killed, unlike some (not all) conservatives I know who flippantly say "well that happens in combat." To blatantly disregard an innocent human life because they are 'in the way', well, that don't sit well with me. I can take it, but I won't be happy with it. But the majority of conservatives, religious or not, don't sit well with it either, just as most democrats don't.
I suppose I could be considered a Christian Libertarian according to your view, but I like to defend laws saying it is illegal, not that it is a person's right to do it.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I could be considered a Christian Libertarian according to your view, but I like to defend laws saying it is illegal, not that it is a person's right to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a dangerous way to view laws and rights...