Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Was I stupid?

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.
It was probably idiotic to call the 3-bet, but I really wanted to see the flop with this hand. I figured I had position and I could use it.

Flop: (18 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.
So, I flop a straight draw. I think I'm getting the odds to call, I'm just worried about another diamond.

Turn: (13 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.
I think SB has a big PP. I have no idea what MP1 has, he's been betting like a maniac all night, and I've caught several of his bluffs. I still think I'm okay calling to catch my straight. Dumb?

River: (25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.
Crap! A diamond. The pot is huge, I made my straight, so I called.
Final Pot: 34 BB

Bonus points to anyone who correctly puts these 2 on their hands. I tried, and I was dead wrong.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Was I stupid?

It wasn't stupid to call the 3-bet preflop, it was stupid to call the MP1 raise IMO. I dont get why you wouldn't call the 3-bet. You're obviously behind, you already knew that after MP1 bet, but what difference does it make. You have a strong drawing hand and it's only 1 more bet to see the flop.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:58 AM

You weren't idiotic to call the 3-bet. It's iffy (and I'm being generous) to call two cold with your hand getting 7½-2 (assuming UTG+1 calls one back to him). But when it comes back to you for one more, you're looking at 17-1. That's as easy as calls get.

On the flop, even if you don't count 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] as any part of an out, you've got six clean outs and 20-1 odds. Easy call. SB's checkraise is troublesome, though. Back to you it's 25-1.

The turn is more interesting. Now it's 17-2 with an SB 3-bet an almost-certainty, so figure 22-3 total odds. That's just over 7-1 odds and not quite enough to call for the straight. But given that we're only counting six outs, and all of them for the nuts, partial outs and implied odds more than give that back to you if these guys continue going crazy on the river.

The river brings one of the cards you didn't necessarily want, but you're right, you have to call the first bet. After it comes back two more to you, I'd throw up in my mouth a little and call, but I'm a wuss who can't bear letting go of the second nuts. (Edit: guess it's the fourth nuts, if you want to get technical.)

MP1 has a flush, maybe A/4. SB was psycho from the beginning, so if he didn't have J/J+ then he had A/J. Or he had tarot cards. You did say he was unpredictable.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:25 AM

good call
Old 12-17-2005, 04:27 AM

Nice hand

EDIT: As someone said below once you call for , two folding to the third bet is not even an option. A case could be made for folding to the initial raise, but I would call here.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:29 AM

I'd raise the flop.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

MP1 has a flush, maybe A/4. SB was psycho from the beginning, so if he didn't have J/J+ then he had A/J. Or he had tarot cards. You did say he was unpredictable.

[/ QUOTE ]
MP1 mucked 8-8. SB had Q-Q. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 01:51 AM

Preflop was very bad. You said you wanted to see the flop with that hand, if you keep doing that your going to see $0 in your bankroll.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:56 AM

MP1 has a flush, no?

I don't think your first call preflop was very good.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop was very bad. You said you wanted to see the flop with that hand, if you keep doing that your going to see $0 in your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) PF calls aren't ever that bad
2) It's not even that bad of a call

OP- It's still wrong though. I'm a little worried with your understanding of the game if you're questioning the 3-bet call and not the original PF call. You're getting much better odds, both pot and implied, on the 3-bet call. It's a much easier decision.

That said, NH.