Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K......

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know guys but i think either november is an unlucky month or its party. No im not saying its rigged, maybe they got alot more loose players with their commercials and stuff. Because this month in Party i, too took a beating. I am not playing high stakes like you are, but i went from a $1400 roll playing 3/6 and beating it by 2bb/hr in 10k hands, to a $400 roll. Maybe someone can look at their PT database from last year and see if they experienced something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your bankroll is insufficient for $3/$6. I am assuming you are talking about limit full handed. If you are talkking 3/6 shorthanded, your bankroll is really insufficient. If you are talking about no limit, your bankroll is ridiculously insufficient.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know I can beat this game. I did it for 3 months prior to this, and I did not feel i was running exceptionally well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were beating it for 3 months why is your roll only 40K? What happened to the money you were making? If you are spending the money that you are making, 20 buyins is not enough of a bankroll for such a high variance game. Anyway, dropping down sucks, but it is usually a good learning experience.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:05 PM

Why aren't you paying taxes quarterly as required? Also, it makes April 15 much much easier to deal with. Better luck and just keep your head down and fight the good fight. I'm speaking as someone coming off a 10k slide myself.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know I can beat this game. I did it for 3 months prior

[/ QUOTE ]

Beating a game for 3 months still could mean that you were getting lucky.

If you can't handle the swings, then don't play that high.

Always consider the possibility that you will drop a few buy-in's when you start to play...if you are unprepared for that possibility then you are possibly underbankrolled for that level.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i went from a $1400 roll playing 3/6 and beating it by 2bb/hr in 10k hands, to a $400 roll. Maybe someone can look at their PT database from last year and see if they experienced something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

2bb/hr in 10k hands is pretty meaningless because 10k hands is a pretty small sample.

You've dropped 166BB's playing 3/6 which either means that your first 10k hands was a lucky streak (very very possible) or that you have experienced a fairly typical downswing (also very possible).

I don't have a PT database from last year available...but I can tell you that I dropped 230BB's at the beginning of this month in very little time (at 5/10).

I was a bit concerned naturally....about the downswing and the hit to my bankroll...and also about the strength of my game (but I'm always concerned about the strength of my game).

I have since bounced back and about 12k hands into the month I am +140BB's overall. So that's a +370BB upswing in about 7k hands.
It doesn't really mean that I'm all that great a player.
It does mean that I've been running pretty damn hot though.

Go me!!

Warning: players who think in terms of "I just KNOW that I'm playing correctly...almost PERFECT poker...but I'm just getting really unlucky cards" are almost certainly NOT playing anything close to 'perfect' poker.
you might play ABC-ish type poker where you didn't make any ridiculous blunders like folding the nuts on the river. But you certainly didn't play anything close to perfect.

Barry Greenstein stated that he makes several mistakes in every session.
I believe Phil Ivey and Howard Lederer subscribe to this philosophy too.

Just because you can't find your small-ish mistakes and you don't think you made any doesn't mean they weren't there.
they were. It's almost guaranteed.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm speaking as someone coming off a 10k slide myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you post about playing live 150/300? Isn't losing $10k like... nothing?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:12 PM

Man, stop, take a break and then rebuild. I have never had 30K however i have had the rush of turning 20 bucks into 10K and then tilting on one bad night and lost it all trying to rebuild. I may still not know too much about all the scientific poker stuff but i know enough about getting sucked out on over and over and over again. Feels like you cant win.

However i dont want anyone reading this to think i was saying i am a good player, i am just saying that Ive been there,,,, sort of, and know the feeling but the one thing i did learn was to drop down and rebuild as need be,
Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This caused me to lose 15 buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome ! I lost 15buyins too some time ago, it wasnt 2kNL though.

[ QUOTE ]
I have 8K in my roll, down from about 40K a week ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

40k is not enough of a bankroll for 2kNL if you are not willing to move down in time. From your description it is clear that you dont have discipline for good bankroll management. Every day is good to start though. Try 400NL and go down to 200NL if you drop 2k or sth.

[ QUOTE ]
I had back to back months where I won 30K in about 10,000 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

10k hands is nothing. I dont understand sentence above.. does it mean that you played 10k hands each month ?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an idiot for not moving down to 1000 when i hit 20K BR, but I felt I was dominating 2K enough to comeback. Well, that burned me.

[/ QUOTE ]
You werent dominating anything. If you in fact had dominated that game you would have much more in your account. Sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
This pretty much just sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. Go to 400 or 200NL and start to work on your discipline.
Nothing compares.

Best wishes
Old 11-14-2005, 05:23 PM

According my accountant, its not required unless youre filing as a pro.

[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't you paying taxes quarterly as required?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10k hands is nothing. I dont understand sentence above.. does it mean that you played 10k hands each month ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I played 10K hands in August, made $30K, 10K hands in Sep., made $28K, before that I was at 1000NL and made $15K in a month there. So yes, I know what I am doing.

[ QUOTE ]

You werent dominating anything. If you in fact had dominated that game you would have much more in your account. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cashed that all out and put it into the stock market, so it is secure. I'd rather rebuild than risk ruin.