Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 03:15 PM

Default A few hands from foxwoods: (10-25 and 5-5)

I haven't posted in a while so here goes:

Hand 1: 5-5NL

Stacks are deep. Villian is solid TAG. hero is relatively unknown to villian but is probably somewhat respected.

Hero straddles to 10, Villian raises to 40, button calls as does hero with AQo. Flop comes Q - 4 - 3 Rainbow. (flop = 130)....Hero Bets 100 and villian calls and button folds. Turn 6 (still rainbow (pot=330).....Hero check/calls 300. river is Q. Hero bets 500 and villian raises to $1500. Hero?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hand 2: 10-25 NL

Limp, aggressive pro raises to $200, very good (extreme LAG) calls in cutoff, I call on button with AdKd as does original limper.

Flop Qh - 7s - 3h (pot=835)

Checked around

turn Kc (Qh - 7s - 3h)

check, check, LAG bets $500, hero calls, fold fold.....

River (4h) (pot=1835)

LAG bets 1700. Hero?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hand 3: 5-5 NL

Hero straddles to 10, 5 limpers including both blinds and unknown young asian guy on button. Hero picks up AcAh and raises to $75. Only unknown asian guy calls.

Flop comes (Kh - 7s - 6h)

Hero bets $125, and villian calls.

turn (Kc)

check, check

river (3h)

check, villian bets 400....Hero?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand 4 (10-25)

effective stacks = 10k

2 limps and Andy Black (5th place in this years WSOP) Raises to $75 from button. This means that Andy has exactly 2 cards. He's been playing extremely LAG and picking up all pots that were for sale. Hero Reraises to 475 from SB with AcAs. Only Andy calls. Hero has a tight image at this point.

Flop (Qd - 9d - 7s) (pot=1025)

Hero bets $1000 and Andy quickly calls

Turn Kh (Qd - 9d - 7s) (pot=3025)

check, check

River 10s (Kh Qd - 9d - 7s)

check, andy bets 2k. Hero?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: A few hands from foxwoods: (10-25 and 5-5)

Hand 1 I think is an easy call. (Reraising for value is tough, as he will fold anything worse than KQ and stack you with a tiny boat. Player dependent.)

Hand 2 is a fold.

Hand 3 I intially felt was a fold (I put him on 77 or 66), but if he felt you were trying for a turn checkraise with AK he most definitely would have bet to juice up the pot. A flush draw would certainly check behind in this situation. I think you get shown something like TT here, or the flush. What hearts could he have? A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? Player dependent again I think. (edit: I just realized you held the Ah. I would call here, given that he could have put you on a steal preflop to pick up the limps, and his line makes no sense with 66 or 77.) This is the toughest hand you played I think.

Hand 4 is a fold. You only beat a bluff, and how often would he call your huge preflop reraise intending to bluff you out ?

Then again I am weak-tight so let me know how things went.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:38 PM

Hand 1: I'd call. No stack sizes, so I'm assuming if you raise here, that will mean lots of trouble. I can't see folding with so many hands that would raise that you beat.

Hand 2: Gotta reraise preflop here. I'd like making it 750ish. On the flop, I bet this a bunch of the time. Especially if you're seen as tight, you might be able to take down the pot right here and you are forcing your opponents to reveal strenght of their hands. Once you check the flop, I really don't like calling on the turn. If the villain is truly laggy, do you really expect that he's going to bet the turn and check the river? If you are calling the turn, you've got to commit yourself to calling a reasonable river bet. Again, I'd raise here, maybe only to 1500 or so. If villain is trying to take a stab at the pot, now he's got to fear you might be slow playing something, and if he reraises you can get out of the hand. River, I'd fold because I don't have enough information to feel like I beat a lot of hands. 56 and a heart draw both got there.

Hand #3: I hate these situations. I fold.

Hand #4: I like how you played this hand. Andy's turn check seems odd. It makes me feel like he was drawing on the flop. He may have hit his 10J, or he might still be drawing. When the river hits, I feel like he either didn't need the jack or he missed on the river. There's no way he can put you on completely missing this board. But there is a chance he thinks he can move you off AK, AA. I'd call here.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:52 PM

1-call

2-raise turn

3-fold

4- dependant on whether he is openly weeping for no apparent reason. but if he views you as solid he may sniff out you are looking to check-call him so he has a mitt. i think i fold.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:25 PM

Call 1.
Raise turn in 2.
Muck 3.
Pot turn on 4.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Results and my analysis....

Hand 1:
This is the hand i butchered the worst....My biggest mistake was getting involved pre-flop with AQos out of position against a solid TAG who raised under the gun. I should have folded pre-flop as this hand is extremely tough to play.

I also should not have given up the initiative on the turn....I think a weak lead / fold to raise line would have been appropriate.

On the river, villians raise means a huge hand.....I called and he showed me 4's full (i was suprised he open raised with 4's)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hand 2:
Reraising preflop is reasonable but i like my call better. On the turn most of you advocate raising which seems overly aggressive to me. At this point i know i want to get to showdown and i'm trying to control the size of the pot as well as induce a river bluff...

The river brought the flush card and most of you advocated a fold....I think this is a pretty big mistake against an "extreme LAG"....The LAG was going bet any Q on the flop (including KQ) as well as any flush draw or any big hand. So his possible holdings on the turn are AK, a weaker K, Kings up, a stright draw, or a total bluff.....I called his river bluff and he showed J-10.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand 3:

This was a very tough one because i could not figure out anything that i could beat. I called anyway because i had the Ah but he showed me K8os for trip kings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand 4:

What a river card....But i played this hand so slow on the turn and river that i think i gave my opponent a huge greenlight to steal. I think it was very likely Andy was calling the flop to bluff later in the hand (or because he thought his small pair was good)....Anyway, the river is a great bluff card so i decided to pay off Andy's bet (He had been picking up all pots that were for sale). My hand was good but i never got to see Andy's cards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure these 4 hands make me seem like an extremly weak tight calling station but i was basically just trying to trap / be cautious / control pot size against some very aggressive opponents. I actully like my play on all hands but the first. But do let me know if you disagree.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:23 AM

Hand#2

[ QUOTE ]
Once you check the flop, I really don't like calling on the turn. If the villain is truly laggy, do you really expect that he's going to bet the turn and check the river? If you are calling the turn, you've got to commit yourself to calling a reasonable river bet. Again, I'd raise here, maybe only to 1500 or so. If villain is trying to take a stab at the pot, now he's got to fear you might be slow playing something, and if he reraises you can get out of the hand. River, I'd fold because I don't have enough information to feel like I beat a lot of hands. 56 and a heart draw both got there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not have mentioned that the stacks were very deep. If i raise the turn here i believe this villian very well might put me on AK and reraise me because he knows i'll have to lay it down at that point. It's hard for me to represent a bigger hand than what i've got since i didn't bet on that dangerous flop. When i called the turn i was completely commited to calling again on the river. Perhaps the only river card i fold to would be a 9 which is probably the scariest card in the deck for me (as i think J10 is a very likely holding). But i probably don't even fold to a 9.

So i'm letting villian get to the river fairly cheaply and i'm also paying him off when he does get there. But i think this is negated by the fact that i will be snapping off a lot of bluffs when he doesn't
Old 11-13-2005, 05:20 AM

Hey Clint,

Been in vegas for a few weeks, so have missed all these(apparently) good games at the Woods during tourney time. I may or may not may it there for the last few days of the carnival.

I've seen the results already, so hopefully that won't taint my thoughts at all, but here goes:

Hand one looks like a call. Good for villain if he raised a hand that made an underfull here, cause I think you're chopping or ahead of an overpair a lot. Of course, why he would bet AA/KK here is beyond me, and if he really plays *that* well, then maaaaaybe you could find a fold, but I call here anyway.

Hand two looks good to me. I don't hate a turn raise, as others have advocated, but against a "good extreme LAG," as you pointed out, pot control often takes precedent, especially on a drawy board like this one where there are tons of scary river cards. I think his rather large bet on the river might make this a slightly easier call for you than if he had thrown out, say, $1,200, but this really seems like a read-based call or fold situation, so only you really know for sure. Very nice call here though.

Hand three seems like a fairly easy fold to me, unless you've seen this guy call w/ position to take pots away on later streets, which seems like unlikely knowledge for you to have, given your description of him as "unknown." The only hands you're beating on the river here are 89, 85, and a PP that didn't believe you on the flop, as well as any two that's calling to take it away from you later on.

Hnad four, I don't mind your line, given your description of how Andy's been playing. Against most, I would like a healthy turn bet, but the K is a pretty scary card, and I wouldn't put it past villain to make a (semi) bluff raise on the turn to set up a monster river bluff that will be reeeeeeeealy tough for you to call w/ a LOT of the cards that might fall. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't mind your turn check here so long as you're planning on calling just about any reasonable-sized bet on the river no matter what falls (save for perhaps a diamond), unless you pick up a strong read on Andy that he's trying to muscle you out.

Hope all is well,

-neon.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:33 AM

HND 1: You said this guy was TAG??? Raise UTG with 44? Maybe a re-evaluation of this players style is necessary. If I thought guy was TAG it's a definite call on river. You Straddled, he might think you were trying to steal. But, a raise is still scary. I would have put him on aq. Nice call, bad read.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:49 AM

bet half pot on the river in hand 3? 77,88,99,TT prolly calls if they called the flop right.

paul