Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 11:42 AM

Default The US and Uzbekistan

Why Are We In Uzbekistan?

Any thoughts on this article? It's not hugely insightful but a good piece to construct a debate around perhaps. The Uzbekistan story seems to have gone pretty much unnoticed on the forum. Anyone want to defend George W. "Democracy" Bush's close links with karimov in the light of recent events? Anyone care?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: The US and Uzbekistan

[ QUOTE ]
Why Are We In Uzbekistan?

Any thoughts on this article? It's not hugely insightful but a good piece to construct a debate around perhaps. The Uzbekistan story seems to have gone pretty much unnoticed on the forum. Anyone want to defend George W. "Democracy" Bush's close links with karimov in the light of recent events? Anyone care?

[/ QUOTE ]

I, for the most part, agree with this article. Uzbekistan definitely had large strategic value. This value has run its course. We now need to apply strong pressure to this regime. I consider this an imperative given our stated desires of spreading democracy.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:06 PM

"I consider this an imperative given our stated desires of spreading democracy. "

But while it had strategic value, this was of secondary consideration?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:21 PM

Yes, absolutely. Pursuing an idealistic vision such as bringing democracy to the region doesnt preclude the use of pragmatism, especially in endeavors which contribute greatly to the realization of that vision.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:14 PM

It's ridiculous that an an entire article analyzing US involvement in Uzbekistan doesn't mention that nation's vast oil and natural gas reserves. Uzbekistan has the potential to be one of the largest non-OPEC oil producers.

For more information, check out this Congressional Research Service report titled "Caspian Oil and Gas: Production and Prospects" from 2002.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:29 PM

I was going to post the same argument. While Uzbekistan is a small player when compared to its neighbors, it surely won't hurt us to have bases in the area. The security that we derive from the base is linked to energy, not the fight against terrorism. Here's a link from December 2004 that shows energy projections:

Energy Information Administration
Old 05-26-2005, 05:46 AM

Supporting brutal dictators in order to "bring democracy" is hypocritical and absurd. Bush said the days of supporting dictators for the sake of expediency were over; clearly they aren't. Just look at his refusal to address democracy in Saudi Arabia recently, focusing instead on oil production when asked about political reform in the country. Nothing has changed; they only want "democracy" for unfriendly regimes.