Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 PM

Default When the table open limps most hands

I think I'm going to start playing a lot of 6-max LHE at Stars and Party, after several months of NL MTTs. One of the few things I know about this game is that you never open limp.

At the .50/1.00 levels I'm playing, there is an incredible amount of open limping, and I find myself in situations where the action is to me with one open limper in the pot.

How does this change my betting? I've been calling instead of raising with hands like medium pairs and KQ, and am also playing lower no-gap suited connectors, down to 56s. Where would you divide the raising and calling hands in this situation against weak players? Should I toss those connectors away? How about one-gap suited connectors - I'll call down to J9s and only call lower one-gappers in the SB.

If there is a good post on this one, I couldn't find it.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: When the table open limps most hands

A lot of the questions you ask are opponent dependent here. You want to try to isolate bad players with good hands in general--this includes hands like big broadways, big suited connectors, etc. Anytime you have an equity edge you should try to exploit it to the max.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the questions you ask are opponent dependent here. You want to try to isolate bad players with good hands in general--this includes hands like big broadways, big suited connectors, etc. Anytime you have an equity edge you should try to exploit it to the max.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - I was thinking more about odds than isolating a player. It seems like a raise in this situation is not putting me in a heads-up situation, but my sample size is small. In other words, I'm finding that players are going to call whether I raise or not, and I was wondering what that does to my raising hands.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:25 PM

Anything with a preflop equity edge should definitely be raised, and buying the button should definitely be a concern too.

I would stop limping with suited conecteors below 98s. J9s is where I stop as well.

There is a starting hands chart floating around here recently as well. I would suggest squashing your pride and playing 5k hands according to that chart to see what others have found that works.