Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Default How To Lose Your Bankroll By Going All-In With The Best Hand

I'm putting my trip report onto the end of this thread because it doesn't need its own thread.

First, the people at The Bike were overwhelmingly nice and hospitable (and not just after "the hand"). I found Bart running around on the floor on Friday afternoon and he was quick to stop whatever he was doing and show me around. The show's producer, Eveliene, said that they'd like to do an interview AT the table on Saturday which was okay, and that I'd be welcome to come into the booth and see how the show is produced, although I wasn't allowed to do commentary.

I wandered around and spotted the high-limit game with Todo Leonidas and those guys. I don't remember anyone watching which I thought was strange, but then again, I didn't want to watch, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

So I let Bart go and I went and played about 1-2 hours of 3/6. Pretty soft game. One older guy kept flinging his cards at the dealer and finally she called the floor on him and he suddenly turned into Carl Lewis as he got up and was gone in a flash. I didn't have much in that game, except for one hand I had TT in the SB and the flop came T-6-7 and I won a medium-sized pot. I left the game up $23 or something and went to the booth as it was about 6:15 PST and the show had started.

First, the table is BRIGHT. Forget about wearing sunglasses to hide your eyes, I needed them just to not go blind. And to answer someone's question I was NOT the guy who walked into a shot and scratched his balls for about 10 seconds. I was in the booth when that happened and I think everyone just pretended like it didn't happen.

The booth is basically a big closet which was used for storage/throwing crap in. Its not air conditioned well and half the room is taken up by monitors and other equipment so its kind of difficult to maneuver. The hole card monitors are like 1"x1.5" or so. They have a pretty good setup and it seems like they have gotten into the flow of getting the cards right and the flop right and such. Isaac, the "tech guy" who is responsible for the camera shots and the audio, made it abundantly clear that the table mic is almost always left up all the way, so sorry Jive, if you can't hear the table talk, its because they are just not speaking loudly (or Bart is talking). Also, the announcers do not control the updating of this thread. Bart actually motions the producer to refresh the thread every 5-10 minutes or so, and she quickly scans the posts and skips the brainless ones or the ones that she doesn't want the announcers to see. Basically, the announcers just sit and commentate. Pretty cushy job. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I met Jennifer Bankston, who was doing the commentary with Bart on Friday. She is really really nice. If you need a visual, she looks almost exactly like Jennifer Beals, and although I didn't say that to her, I'm sure she's heard it before. The Friday game got a little boring so I went to play 100 NL after the table talk. I had never played live NL before so I was interested to see how it would go. It was basically an all-in fest, and one guy kept winning and one guy kept losing. He must have dropped $600 in this game in the 1 hour I was there. I didn't play much and got a bunch of rag hands. My only real hand, I got KQo in MP1 and raised to $15. The table chip bully called and so did 2 others. Flop was 8-3-2. Checked to me, I bet $30, called by chip bully, called all-in by another guy, and a fold. Turn was a blank. I went all-in for my last $30-35. Chip bully thought for a minute and folded. River is an ace. All-in guy shows KJo and I have the nut no hand. Chip bully starts crying because he says he folded an ace. I left the game up $30 or so and went to the hotel because I was about to pass out (I had been up for about 32 hours straight).

Now, the fun begins.

Saturday, I get to The Bike in the afternoon around 2:30pm. Bart was already there waiting to prop and I quickly got my name on broadcast list which was only 4 names long so far, so I was in. I sat down at a 100 NL table to get some more NL work in, and made my first overplay. Here's how it went:

I limp in EP with 66. 4 or 5 others limp to the flop:

9-4-4 two-suited

I felt okay about my hand but not great, so I threw out a $15 bet to see where I was at. Guy on my left mini-raises me to $30 and everybody else folds. I wasn't convinced he had a 4 and I decided to peel one off to see what he'd do on the turn:

K

I check and he checks behind. Now I know he doesn't have a 4 or a King. So he can really only have a 9 or a flush draw. River is a deuce that does not complete the flush. Here is where my NL inexperience kicked in. I checked to him and he immediately went all-in for $33. That bet made the pot about $120, so getting 4-1 was a little too good so I called. He tabled 95o. Meh. I think if I bet the river he folds, but if he had a flush draw, my check might have induced a bluff, which is what I thought when I called. Some jagoff starts screaming about wanting to see my hand for no apparent reason. I try to throw them in the muck but I missed and the dealer shows my pocket sixes. Meh.

Jennifer called me over to the broadcast table at about 3:30. I didn't really want to start playing that early because of the chance that I'd actually go broke before the broadcast which would be a disaster of epic proportions, but on the flip side, I thought, it sure would be nice to start the broadcast with a big stack.

First big confrontation: I raise MP1 with KQo to $15. MP2 reraises to $40. Everybody else folds. I call.

Flop: K-Q-7r

I check, he bets $50, I move all-in for an additional $140, he insta-calls with AA.

Turn: T
River: J

I lose to runner-runner straight.

Next big hand:

EP mini-raises to $10. Ester reraises to $40. I wake up in the BB with QQ. Now I know Ester is a mega-tight player and would not raise with anything less than TT, so I put her on AA-TT, AK, and maybe AQ. I thought for a second and moved all-in. EP folds (said later he had JJ), and Ester calls. Board is 8-3-4-7-2 and I'm hoping she has AK. She does. But its A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and there's three spades on the board and I lose again. Radical.

A few hands later, I'm in the cutoff with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and a bunch of people limp so I do too. 6-way to the flop:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet $15. BB calls and everyone else folds. Now this kind of worries me because the BB is the guy who was in seat 6 on the broadcast and he liked to slowplay his big hands. In fact, he had taken about $100 off me on an earlier hand when I had open-raised with Bill Fillmaff and he called with AQ and flopped top two and checked it all the way, then raised me on the river (I had been betting all the way, even though I missed my straight draw).

So anyway, I'm a little wary here as I have no kicker, but I'm about 80% sure he's on a flush draw. Turn is a black 6. He checks. Here I made a very bad play. I bet $20. As soon as the chips left my hand, I knew I had just let him in the hand for almost nothing. Of course he called that. River was a harmless looking 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but he quickly bets $75. Again, this is where my NL inexperience cost me. I worked the hand backwards and I saw what had happened. I knew that on the flop (and especially on the turn) he was either on a flush draw or a straight draw, and when the 3 hit, there's only three hands he could have: 87, 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or just a busted flush draw. Unfortunately I could not fold the hand and I said "I call. You have the straight?" He nodded and showed 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I played that pretty damn bad and had I not been semi-steaming about the two previous beats I wouldn't have played the hand to begin with.

Ok, so its about 5pm PST and I have like less than $400 to my name left and I'm in jeopardy of not even making the broadcast table. Bart, Tuchman, Jennifer, and Jana all storm the table to talk to everyone. Tuch is a cool guy in person. Very smart dude. I will talk about Jana in a minute because I didn't really meet her until later. So at this point, I made the decision to basically fold everything until the show started, as I could not under any circumstances bust out before it began. I was only playing AA and maybe KK. Luckily I think my best hand in that hour was K5 or something so I had no decisions to make.

So the show starts. I haven't watched the archive of it yet, but I looked up and saw the main camera (behind the dealer) starting right at me. I looked down for a bit, and looked up, and the camera was STILL on me. I thought about doing something but I wasn't in the mood being down so much. I wore my black sweater so I could zip it up over my mouth in the event of a big moment, but again, because I was so down, I wasn't even thinking about it.

First hand I played was AKo. The board was Q-x-x, and I bet and my lone opponent folded. I dunno what he had but I suspect something like KT. I'll look later.

Next hand I play is QQ. Same guy as before called me, but this time the flop was A-T-x. I would have liked to switch those flops. I bet out again just like last time, but this time he mini-raises me. I fold and the guy next to me says "AJ, right?" I say no, and he says that he actually heard someone say AJ from the booth through the headset of one of the floormen. And I found out later that the guy in seat 1 did in fact have AJ.

Now throughout all of this, I'm not getting anything playable. I think I got a suited connector once, but I was UTG and didn't want to play it. I dunno what hands of mine got shown on the screen but they were all junk.

Then it happened.

Russ Fox, sitting in seat 2, opens UTG for $25. It didn't take long for me to figure out that Russ is a tight player, and he's not going to open UTG with anything less than AK. So when I look down at AA, I feel much better than if it was some action donk opening because he could have any two random cards, but I know Russ has a hand. Earlier he had opened in EP with JJ and said he was happy to win the blinds, so I knew he did not want to risk a lot of chips with JJ (neither did I). So I raised it to $50 hoping he had KK, QQ or AK.

Now, let me take a minute to talk about the guy in seat 5, who called all-in with 98o. I was not worried about him in the least and neither was Russ. I don't know if this was on the broadcast, but earlier, Scott (who was in seat 7) was just getting toasted by the Asian guy with the floppy hat in seat 8. Every time Scott bet, this guy raised him and he was quickly going on tilt. Scott turned up his hand without actually saying anything, and the guy in seat 5 stood up, grabbed Scott's cards, and threw them in the muck. The dealer quickly started telling seat 5 not to touch other players cards, and seat 5 took it personally because the dealer told him a couple of times. The dealer then started telling him that he has to tell him because that's his job, and seat 5 again started blabbering about something. The dealer was getting really upset and continued to tell seat 5 not to have any interaction or contact with players or cards EVER, and I think seat 5 felt somewhat belittled and he quickly steamed off his chips.

So anyway, back to the hand. It gets back to Russell and he makes it $100. Once again, my NL inexperience gets the best of me and I move in in a shot. This is when Scott in seat 7 yelled out "There's the Aces!" to which Russell said "Come on, don't tell me that." Scott said a couple of other things which I don't remember verbatim but he was basically trying to call out hands (and he'd done it before). Russell took a lot of time thinking and I was looking at him and he was going over the chips and it looked like he was just figuring out the odds. He needed to call $80-something to win $300-something so he was getting about 3.5-1. Bart and I (and Russell and Tuch later) discussed that Russell didn't have odds to call, and knowing the two hands he didn't, but Russell explained later that he could not be 100% sure that I had pocket aces in this situation, and if there was even a little doubt in his mind that I had something like AK, KK, QQ, or a total bluff hand, he was correct to call. Had seat 5 not just thrown his $50 chips in, Russell said it would have been a much tougher decision and he may have laid it down. Also he may have laid it down if I had more money. But Russell calls and rivers a King.

After the show, I talked to Russell for a bit about the hand and I think that's how he explained it (if not, he may read this and correct me). I told him I probably play it similarly but my chips would have been in the pot as well. It was interesting to see later that Scott moved to seat 3 and steamed off most of his chips, which he won on the very first hand we played at 3:30 when he and 2 others went all-in (!!!) and he won with a full house. He also took a couple of bad beats and I said that seat 3 is clearly cursed tonight. I did get a Bike jacket and a spinner so all was not lost.

So I go to the booth where Bart and Jana are doing commentary. Jana is a LOT younger than I thought she would be. I dunno why, but I thought Jana would be about 35 and I think she's probably like 24. Anyway, she was overall nice to me although she took a potshot or two which is okay since I gave her crap. She was very consoling after my beat. It was funny to read some of the posts in this thread with her as she likes to either flick off the screen or whisper about a post, usually from Jive. I would have liked to do some commentary as I was going to pull out some Bart-isms but I didn't get the chance. I did not get the chance to meet Denny or Shirley. Denny was off and Shirley was doing something else. She wanted me to e-mail her apparently but I forgot.

Overall, I had a good time. I didn't play stupid (for the most part) and when I went all-in, I had the best of it, which is all I could do. The results sucked but I'm happy about the way I played. All the people associated with LATB were extremely nice and hospitable and allowed me pretty much full access and made my showing an actual event, which is pretty funny since nobody outside of the people who read this thread have any idea who I am, and you all only know me by my name. I think I'd like to see some LATB regulars show up on the show in the future. I still think (and agree) that solid play will beat this game, unfortunately I could not get the best hand to hold up for me or things would have been radically different. I apologize to everyone who tuned in hoping for a full night of action and only got 45 minutes and 3 hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I promised Tuchman I'd promote his blog, so here goes. David is going out to the World Series at the beginning of June and is going to be writing a daily blog on www.thebike.com detailing the events and basically what's going on. It's going to be, like, so awesome, so you need to read it! He may also mention some 2+2ers, LATB, and other stuff.

Thanks to Bart, Eveliene, Isaac, Jennifer, Jana, and Tuchman for being ultra-cool and nice throughout my trip. They really made me feel welcome and like a celebrity despite the fact that all I do is post on a message board. Oh, and I also did meet Rick and we chatted for a few minutes while he was busy folding on an outer table. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This was right before he moved onto the broadcast table. Anyway, I was overall about right on my feelings about LA poker. In about 2 years when I build my bankroll back up, I will surely go back out there.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: How To Lose Your Bankroll By Going All-In With The Best Hand

Russ M. got the hand correct, in all key respects but one (and it may have been my fault about this when we talked after the broadcast). Seat five, who is (usually) a good player, was on mega-tilt. When he threw in the $50 call, I was certain that he had any two cards (as was Russ M.). What I meant to say was that if seat five folds (as he should, and would, most days), I probably cannot call. As Russ mentions, as long as I have even a little doubt that he has AA, given how the betting goes I have the right price to call.

So there's $125 in the pot, and it costs me $25 to call -- or I can raise. There's no way I can fold here (even if I'm 100% certain that Russ M. has AA), so the choice is to call, raise all-in, or make a small raise to further define his hand. In retrospect, a better choice would have been to call, and move all-in on the flop (unless there's an ace). In the end, though, it wouldn't have mattered as the cards came.

Russ deserved a much better fate, but I enjoyed playing and talking with him. May the cards fall better next time--

Good luck,

Russ Fox
Old 05-23-2005, 07:15 PM

Yeah it eas almost painful to watch that game... But i still think ur a good pokerplayer even if u lost big time there... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (5/21)

[ QUOTE ]
What's with all the commenting on the hands in progress by players at the Bike? Russ said when he went all in one of the players immediately said, "Aces." Why don't they stop that crapola? Where is the floorman?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's everywhere in these small games at least in LA. I mostly play limit but today I played a little no limit in another card club and we had a few players often doing play by play on critical hands. I spoke up that this is out of line although I hate being table captain. But this is just so far over the line and bad for the game. Maybe these people are practicing for an audition for a poker show on cable.

Anyway, Hero (seat 9) and I are reading this thread as we watch a live stream of this Saturday's game on the other screen. We really felt bad for Russ G. - he took some beats but played well. Got to meet him after his bad beats and he seemed like a great guy, especially considering what happened. Even Yana's heart bleed for him (about 52 minutes into the broadcast).

~ Rick

PS Hero might try to lock up seat nine in a two or three weeks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 03:08 AM

Hi Russ!,

Our hearts really bled for you on that AA v KK hand for all your chips on the archives.

Anyway, a few comments:

[ QUOTE ]
I wandered around and spotted the high-limit game with Todo Leonidas and those guys. I don't remember anyone watching which I thought was strange, but then again, I didn't want to watch, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like an unspoken rule not to sweat this game unless your connected with it. I would often play at the table next door (usually a 20/40 stud/8) but never got up watch an outcome. Few did.

[ QUOTE ]
EP mini-raises to $10. Ester reraises to $40. I wake up in the BB with QQ. Now I know Ester is a mega-tight player and would not raise with anything less than TT, so I put her on AA-TT, AK, and maybe AQ. I thought for a second and moved all-in. EP folds (said later he had JJ), and Ester calls. Board is 8-3-4-7-2 and I'm hoping she has AK. She does. But its A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and there's three spades on the board and I lose again. Radical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ester got a real kick out of being called a "mega-tight player" when she read this an hour or two ago. She's a lot looser when the cameras are off or when she plays limit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Anyway, that hand I thought both of you seemed to play it right, just a bad outcome for you, a good one for her. She wished it would have been someone else.

[ QUOTE ]
So anyway, back to the hand. It gets back to Russell and he makes it $100. Once again, my NL inexperience gets the best of me and I move in in a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ponder most middle of the hand decisions then you have to ponder your automatic or near automatic decisions. If you speed play your tough decisions, then you can speed play your big raises with big hands, but this works best in limit. But you know that.

[ QUOTE ]
This is when Scott in seat 7 yelled out "There's the Aces!" to which Russell said "Come on, don't tell me that." Scott said a couple of other things which I don't remember verbatim but he was basically trying to call out hands (and he'd done it before).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way out of line by Scott and it's becoming an epidemic among the younger players.

[ QUOTE ]
In about 2 years when I build my bankroll back up, I will surely go back out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good report. It won't take you 2 years. See you soon.

Regards,

Rick
Old 05-26-2005, 09:10 PM

Nice trip report, Russ. Sorry about the bad luck. And why didn't you piledrive the donk calling out Aces?