Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Las Vegas question

I have a general question and seek your advice. I am planning to visit Las Vegas and would like to swim with the school of fish hoping a TAG style will keep my chips lasting longer. I plan to stay for 4 days and play 14 hours each day at a $500 NL table. Would it make a difference if I arrived in Las Vegas on 12/10 versus 12/29? I would assume there would be more friendly fish during the New Years party thing. Is this assumption true based on your experience? And how much of a bankroll is reccomended? What hotel would you reccomend as well? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Las Vegas question

[ QUOTE ]
And how much of a bankroll is reccomended?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, asking this question tells me that you are nowhere ready for a 500NL game.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:29 PM

I agree with the above poster.
Second:
[ QUOTE ]
Would it make a difference if I arrived in Las Vegas on 12/10 versus 12/29?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only difference is 19 days.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:31 PM

I went to Vegas last New Years in also hoping for fish. Went by myself, left the wife home, as the trip was just to play poker. Will not do it again. I go out about every three months so have been there different times of the year. Found less fish there than at any other trip. The normal fishy guys were too busy celebrating the new years thing with wife, family or whatever I guess to sit down and play. I played mid limit at Bellagio and Mirage and no limit and 4-8 at Mandalay Bay plus a few smaller rooms. Played from noon to 3AM the next morning every day for a week. Other card rooms and limits may prove different but I was expecting the best but was my worst trip ever for finding fish at the tables.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was expecting the best but was my worst trip ever for finding fish at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been said over and over again...but I'll say it again. Excalibur...2-6 spread limit...and its not even close.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:34 PM

My thought was how much does the pre Christmas mentality affect the table environment. The same for the New Years eve bash mentality.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:39 PM

Ok true, that question made me sound like a dope. But I still do want some input regarding this. I would like to hear some numbers; assuming an average NL player. Of course you might think a gazillion dollars is more appropriate for someone that asked a question like that above. Assume an average NL player.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 PM

Your best bet is to play the 100NL game at Excalibur. Freaking awesome game as well as the 2-6 spread limit game. I'm a BIG fan of the fish at the Excalibur.

Seriously, if you need to know about a bankroll for 500NL, perhaps you should step down a bit. No disrespect meant, and welcome to the 2+2 forums.

p.s. As far the Excalibur 100NL game is concerned, wash, rinse, repeat, or, money grows on trees at that poker room.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your best bet is to play the 100NL game at Excalibur. Freaking awesome game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. I was there for a week awhile back and played that game almost every night. Drunk tourists every time I was there. Great game.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:20 AM

I actually play the 200 NL with about 4x buyin for an evening. I do ok. I win.. I lose.. I win.. I lose.. I win.. So I'm looking for a nice environment to venture up a bit. Guess I'm in the process of stepping up for the first time; it may be a bit early. I'm expecting to get whack down again but it has to begin somewhere. Why not in an environment where there's at least some lubrication around while the sharks have their way with me. A change of venus sounds nice as well. For those of you out there, if you find me, have a feast. I'll be the one with a tall colorful drink with a bright sleeveless shirt wearing sunglasses acting nonchalant.