Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: honestly, how good is AVG free antivirus?

[ QUOTE ]
Well you get what you pay for. None of the free alternatives are great. However, there are much better pay antivirus programs other than norton.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ISP recommended Avast (free) as being better than Nortons or the rest. It has been working great for me.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:54 PM

From a professional computer technician who is out in the field every day, been doing this work for 17 years catering to home computer users and small business, there is nothing better than Norton for Anti-virus. run Spybot, Ad-aware and Spy Sweeper (all three at least once a month) for spyware/adware cleaning.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 PM

I've probably been using it for a little over a year now on several computers; I like it pretty well. Moved over less because of the cost and more because I feel that Norton and McAfee's anti-piracy measures are becoming obnoxious. I have not regretted it yet...not to say that I couldn't in the future, but up until now I've found it to be less of a hassle and perfectly acceptable functionally. It has caught things that have gotten onto machines via attachments, etc. No real problems to report, knock on wood.

-bb.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My ISP recommended Avast (free) as being better than Nortons or the rest. It has been working great for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.majorgeeks.com

click on antivirus on the left side and scoll down to AVAST! It works great for spyware also.

Works great for me also.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From a professional computer technician who is out in the field every day, been doing this work for 17 years catering to home computer users and small business, there is nothing better than Norton for Anti-virus. run Spybot, Ad-aware and Spy Sweeper (all three at least once a month) for spyware/adware cleaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why pay 80 bucks for Norton when you can get AVAST! for free? I have Norton on one computer and AVAST! on my laptop and I like the AVAST! better myself. I will not be buying another subscription to Norton ever again!
Old 10-02-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
get AVAST! AVAST! not subscription to Norton

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
get AVAST! AVAST! not subscription to Norton

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, just trying to save the guy a few bucks. I don't work for them.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:15 AM

Norton anti-virus is only $32 at Sam's club, $49 and sometimes less at Office Depot, Best Buy, etc. And if you had as many service calls as I have had from people using AVG and other free programs that didn't catch a virus that Norton would have, you would know Norton pays for itself!!!! Great for my business that there are those that are too cheap to buy the good stuff. More business for me. You don't need the internet security edition of norton's, have had that cause problems in some computers. Just Norton Anti-Virus 2005 for $32!!!! And the yearly updates are low cost enough you can't go wrong. As I tell my customers, don't be cheap on something this important to your computer, spend the $32 now or you'll be spending $85 for me to do a service call later.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From a professional computer technician who is out in the field every day, been doing this work for 17 years catering to home computer users and small business, there is nothing better than Norton for Anti-virus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what to make of this, as it's a bit off. Perhaps your job leads you to give people the easiest answers most of the time. That would be understandable.

Norton is too much of a resource hog to be the best. That's why, for me, common sense + a variety of free scanners and removal tools = a much better solution than Norton. I've tried many versions of Norton and have never been satisfied with the way it runs. However, I will say that it's the best of the 'big-name' scanners/cleaners.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:52 AM

I have been using AVG on 2 computers for about 2 years. I have never had a problem with it.