Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-20-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Live mutlis, poor players, deviation, taking chances

I play a lot of multi table tournements. I knew I was a better player than 90% of the field. This didn't say much because they were all terrible. I found myself constantly getting knocked out with the best hand over, and over, and over.

"How the hell do these idiots last so long only to knock me out when I am ahead?"

"How can I win all the races in a tournament when these idiots call me every single time I push?"

Well then I sat down and reanalyzed everything. I started asking players "Why did you call my all in?" I started doing some math on my chances. I started understanding the deviation of chip stacks in relation to the types of players in the tournament. Well I believe I finally found the errors of my ways. I wanted to share this to get your opinion.

I started realizing that to succeed in these tournaments I needs to understand the math and the psychology of my weak opponents in order to beat them.

I discovered that most of the poorer players tend to call all ins because... "I thought you had a small pair" when they have overs or "I thought you had overs" when they have a small pair. They always seem to think an all in player is trying to pull a fast one so I guess inside their heads they get upset or annoyed and think they are busting some big bluffer with their hand. I have seen players call all ins with hands like A8s, K9s, ATo just because they put you on a small pair. Your ahead right?!

Now I looked at the next section. Well how much ahead are you? At best 75%-80% depending on your hand. So I did a little math... how often will you win 4 75% chances to beat your opponent? The answer is 1 in 3 or 31% of the time.

Next I took an analysis of the 90% poor players, in these specific live tournaments. The general notion is that the better players will either rise slowly in chips or lose slowly in chips. Players that gamble will lose a lot or win a lot quickly. Now because the ratio of good to poor players is 9:1, in the tournaments I play, you will still have a bunch of loose players that got lucky and massed a giant chip stack compared to the number of good players in the tournament. So lets say a tournament of 100 player you have 90 poor players and 10 good ones. At the end of 3 rounds lets say 80% of the players are left.

8 good players, 72 bad players.

Lets say 15% of the bad players have big stacks or ~11
Lets say 15% of the bad players have small stacks or ~11
The rest are in between.

Of our good players most will have medium stacks that are healthy and above average.

But looking at this you still have more poor players with larger stacks than good players with good stacks. So the poor players can bust them at anytime. Even a good portion of the poor players have decent stacks that can cripple a good player's stack.

I was getting all my chips with the best hand in 97% of the time preflop or on the flop. But eventually I lost to some nugget that said "what the hell I call". How the hell do I beat this opposition that just keeps calling and outnumber me so much? Even though so many nuggets lose they still outnumber guys like us because of the sheer numbers, its like fighting the Chinese army.

I changed tactics. I played sneaky. Now I altered my raises, modified the amounts at different times. I gave the illusion of trying to lure a sucker into a trap "I see that a mile away he won't get me, I fold". I stole blinds more with sneakier raising standards.

Blinds 50/100 well sometimes I raised 300, 250, 325, 400. I changed it up 1/2 of the time from the standard 3x. I started raising 2x to 2.5x UTG to risk less. I took my time thinking also. I remained still not giving them a tell or an excuse to call. Mike Caro say players LOOK for tells to have a reason to call, they want action. Common players don't want to fold, fold, fold, they want to play. Once in a while I showed a hand when I felt they were losing confidence in my tightness. I showed folded BB crap hands to let them know I am folding crap and when I reraise I mean business. I took my time on the flop and gave credit to nuggets when they pushed after probing them. I protected my stack.

Results were this:
I played more hands in the rear (almost always stealing) and risked little. I won many small pots and an occasional large one. But I won them 100% of the time. Instead of risking my stack 4x in a row on a 75% chance to win all in. I noticed an improvement in how deep I penetrated each tournament. I started cashing BIG.

I found by the altering to smaller preflop raises and having a calm disposition taking my time I made the fish fear me and become preditable. I made them not react out of emotion or carelessness. I made them think they avoided the large trap. I basically let them eliminate themselves. Its not my job to do so.

So I feel its better to win 20 small pots 100% of the time then try and win 4 large pots 75% of the time each.

As for risks? Sure there were times I had to get it all in but now it was far fewer than before. I only had to win once or twice all in which was much more attractive than 4-5 times in a row.

Opinions and thoughts?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Live mutlis, poor players, deviation, taking chances

I haven't developed a successful system like yours, but I do notice that people in <=$300 live tournaments will not fold to a reraise. I notice this because these wind up being double up, bust out, or get crippled hands. A lot of the players will not limp with junk and call raises and flop bets the way they do in low buyin online. However, they just will not fold TT or AQ or something.

I remember several hands where I will reraise or reraise allin from early position at an early position raiser with with QQ or AK or something and get called or cold called by some pp or ace. They will make some remark like they thought I was running over the table or they knew I has ace if they have a pp or they knew I had an underpair if they had an ace.

A nonsophisticated player is not going to realize that an early position reraise with shallow money from a good player means a very big hand. They seem to interpret a reraise as an attempt to steal the pot. They may not be 100% calling stations, but they don't read situations well, and just think they have a strong hand that may be good.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:19 PM

Yup thats my feeling also. They don't think and are always finding an excuse for a push. I had to dumb down my thinking to 1 level above theirs to beat them.

EXAMPLE (b4 my big realization): One hand I raised the whole table in postion with AKo. It was a good raise to let people know I had a good hand. I did it a little expressively tossing my chips in. This guy in the SB get this "aha!" face like he realized the mystery of the universe and pushes all his chips in on a whim. Naturally my expressivness gave him an excuse to push. He wasn't short stacked so his push made no sense to me, it was 3x my raise. I thought he had a big pair like AA or KK and was prepared to fold. I took a read on him and figured out with a bit of table talk he had the middle pair. Pot was right I called (1 for 2.5 to call), he flops over 77. He wins the pot crippling me and laughs saying he already had a made hand and I was basically stupid to call because he knew I had 2 overs. My playfulness gave this guy a reason to push after I raised 5 limpers. I wouldnt take a chance with 88 after 5 limpers and a raiser.
-----------------
Even at a $350 multi I was amazed at the UNBELIEVABLE moronicness (is that even a word?) of their play. I severly overestimated these players and their abilities. They were actually WORSE than the $150 and $200 tournament players in a sense that they pushed with all sorts of stupidity. I had the feeling the difference was that these were players that had money and didn't care about losing it. The $150-$200 tournaments are reasonable buy-ins average people would risk for a chance at big money. The structure is good too. The average player isn't whipping out $350 to play a tournament so I believe I got more of the "rich kid" or "rich guy" symdrome. Trying to prove something by buying into a $350 tournament. It was my 1st one. Was cold, sick from the smoke, I played like crap and lost to idiots... but really it was my own fault.

EXAMPLE (here is one that blew my mind by these $350 players):
At my table I had 1 good player, 8 idiots, and myself. usually I am nice and say "poor players" or "nuggets" but these guys were morons so I say "idiots". UTG limps, BUT raises, SB reraises.... UTG pushes. BUT thinks and folds (he was a decent player) SB calls. UTG shows 55 SB shows AA. WTF? Raise, reraise and he pushes with 55, WOW!

I got knocked out later by a guy calling a bet and a raise (by me) with middle pair on the board and medium kicker, no draws for 1/2 his chips.

Now I am better prepared for the $350 tournament.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EXAMPLE (b4 my big realization): One hand I raised the whole table in postion with AKo. It was a good raise to let people know I had a good hand. I did it a little expressively tossing my chips in. This guy in the SB get this "aha!" face like he realized the mystery of the universe and pushes all his chips in on a whim. Naturally my expressivness gave him an excuse to push. He wasn't short stacked so his push made no sense to me, it was 3x my raise. I thought he had a big pair like AA or KK and was prepared to fold. I took a read on him and figured out with a bit of table talk he had the middle pair. Pot was right I called (1 for 2.5 to call), he flops over 77. He wins the pot crippling me and laughs saying he already had a made hand and I was basically stupid to call because he knew I had 2 overs. My playfulness gave this guy a reason to push after I raised 5 limpers. I wouldnt take a chance with 88 after 5 limpers and a raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was just bad play by you and good play by your opponent. You made the raise with a flourish. This was a strong means weak tell.He correctly read that you were trying to take down the pot with a relatively weak holding, probably AK/AQ. He figures he is ahead plus pot odds and you may fold to the limpraise. If you had given no indication you didn't want a call, he probably would have been afraid you had JJ-AA and folded his 77.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:06 PM

Just in general you shouldn't consciously do anything differently when raising with AK as opposed to AA. Even if your opponents suck at reading people, still why give them any kind of info at all? "expressively" raising as opposed to just raising is retarded.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:22 PM

Very interesting thoughts, especially to someone who's lost to 3 outers on the river 5 tourneys in a row.

I will look at modifiying pre-flop play a bit more, not with the idea of being less predictable, but with the idea of presenting a "trapping" image.

The other modificaiton Ive made (which may be old hat to most 2+2 ers), is that on the flop I will only charge an apparent draw for the turn draw not both turn and river draws (eg make him pay more than 20% but less than 33%). He is going to figure his implied odds without the river bet he his going to have to make, will still be paying the wrong price, but I will have limited most of my exposure to a single card, instead of two. Also the lower pot on the turn lets me charge fewer $$ to price him out, when he finally wakes up and realizes he's paid twice for the same draw.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew I was a better player than 90% of the field.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm curious how you "knew" that - when you weren't winning?

Tournament poker is poker and tournament. Fearlessly gambling it up can be a very effective tournament strategy. Building a big stack early on with a couple of successful gambles and then having the courage to push it against "better" players is probably a winning strategy for players of lesser experience and little post-flop ability.

If what makes you "better" in your own mind is your knowledge of "appropriate starting hands" and odds you have basically reduced yourself to a pre-flop player (hey, no prejudice, I'm one of them) without much advantage over the more inexperienced participants early on. As opposed to late in the tournament, where you definitively will have the upper hand. Proper adjustment for early play: keep it small. Just call with your big Aces and suited connectors, and let go of your cards if the going gets heated on the flop.

If your perceived skill-advantage is your reading and post-flop abilities, then - again - you should be raising very little pre-flop - at least early on. Instead you should be calling raises and outplaying the opposition after the flop.

But what am I rambling about, you obviously adjusted your strategy to benefit what you're good at.[ QUOTE ]
I basically let them eliminate themselves. Its not my job to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good luck!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 12-20-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I knew I was a better player than 90% of the field.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm curious how you "knew" that - when you weren't winning?

Tournament poker is poker and tournament. Fearlessly gambling it up can be a very effective tournament strategy. Building a big stack early on with a couple of successful gambles and then having the courage to push it against "better" players is probably a winning strategy for players of lesser experience and little post-flop ability.

If what makes you "better" in your own mind is your knowledge of "appropriate starting hands" and odds you have basically reduced yourself to a pre-flop player (hey, no prejudice, I'm one of them) without much advantage over the more inexperienced participants early on. As opposed to late in the tournament, where you definitively will have the upper hand. Proper adjustment for early play: keep it small. Just call with your big Aces and suited connectors, and let go of your cards if the going gets heated on the flop.

If your perceived skill-advantage is your reading and post-flop abilities, then - again - you should be raising very little pre-flop - at least early on. Instead you should be calling raises and outplaying the opposition after the flop.

But what am I rambling about, you obviously adjusted your strategy to benefit what you're good at.[ QUOTE ]
I basically let them eliminate themselves. Its not my job to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good luck!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on your style, but I think that not raising with AK or something at a bunch of limpers from CO or button is a really bad play. My strengths are more strategic, so I am not looking to outplay people limping with junk postflop. Generally, I think it is good to raise with strong hands and try to outplay postflop in a bigger pot. Sure sometimes you wind up in big coin toss situations, but I don't think it is worth trying to avoid that.

I do agree that OP's viewpoint that he is better than 90% of the players may not be correct. He probably has more book knowledge. There is also a lot of luck in these, so I wouldn't judge skill level by short term results.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 PM

I agree I gave him a reason to make his play. Too many other reasons made his play wrong in my opinion: 1:1.5 odds for me to call, I would still have 1500 chips left, He was all in, he had 3500 chips in a 50/100 BB (no reason to gamble here), my tight image, he had the lowest hand I would make this play with from my postiion vs 5 limpers.

Anyways no big deal. Maybe you right.

I learned.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree I gave him a reason to make his play. Too many other reasons made his play wrong in my opinion: 1:1.5 odds for me to call, I would still have 1500 chips left, He was all in, he had 3500 chips in a 50/100 BB (no reason to gamble here), my tight image, he had the lowest hand I would make this play with from my postiion vs 5 limpers.

Anyways no big deal. Maybe you right.

I learned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like his play. He is 57-43 against AK or AQ and he has lots of pot odds and folding equity. I think it is a nice play exploiting a tell.