Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 08:38 PM

Default OT: A note about Bellagio ME hands

I don't really mean to be a dick by saying this, but a lot of us need to stop giving advice like these are Party MTTs. If you've never played a really deep stacked MTT and most/all of your tournament playing knowledge comes from reading HOH, you're really not qualified to give any advice. I know for a fact that I'm not in any position to give any really good suggestions.

Sorry if this comes across as being rude, but if I am getting annoyed at reading these responses, the OPs must be a little peeved as well. I'm hoping that the threads will be more streamlined and 50% of the replies aren't made by those explaining why pushing over the top for 150BB isn't wise.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: OT: A note about Bellagio ME hands

there's nothing wrong with posting and trying to figure out how to play with deeper stacks. You shouldnt have to "know the answer" to post. However, if you have little deep stack experience then you post should convey that, and emphasize how you are trying to learn.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM

I agree. I forgot to include that there is nothing wrong with asking questions in the threads. A post that says, "why wouldn't you reraise?" is fine. I just got fed up reading the 10th post where someone says, "OMG, you have to reraise preflop with 99-JJ."
Old 12-14-2005, 09:31 PM

meh I was thinking of making a post along the same lines. iunno, a lot of people learn from posting their garbage and having others tear it apart, so its not terrible. The key is just knowing who to listen to.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 PM

Isnt that really the beauty of this forum?

If you forbid people from posting their opinions one situations over their heads, no one really gets better.

Yes, its a pain to read through a bunch of threads with bad advice. It would be horrible if they werent given the chance to post it.

Most of us on this forum have learned the most in threads where we missed a key concept and had more knowledgable posters explain it to us. This is no different.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 AM

I guess you're right, I just wish that people who weren't sure would give a few more qualifiers when they give suggestions. Or maybe ask questions like, "Why wouldn't you do X?" I certainly wouldn't want to restrict novices from posting, I just wish that they'd realize they are novices.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you're right, I just wish that people who weren't sure would give a few more qualifiers when they give suggestions. Or maybe ask questions like, "Why wouldn't you do X?" I certainly wouldn't want to restrict novices from posting, I just wish that they'd realize they are novices.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think:

The nature of both poker and of internet forums tends to make those of us who know less feel the need to posture as if we know just as much. In poker, this phenomenon allows the knowledgable to make money. So long as this phenomenon exists, the knowledgeable should be happy. We novices are well aware of our status, but if we're going to take flak for our idiocy, we may as well be bold.

[ QUOTE ]
meh I was thinking of making a post along the same lines. iunno, a lot of people learn from posting their garbage and having others tear it apart, so its not terrible. The key is just knowing who to listen to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I fit this description. The best way for me to learn is to actively participate in discussion. It is too easy for me to just read along and change my opinions. There's no way for me to track my progress. Certainly, the surest way to get a response to one's ideas is to post something so catastrophically inane that someone who knows more has to respond.

Ultimately though, by posting one's views as a "novice", I feel like I work against the tacit forum hierarchy, and I give myself a chance to get better. I am honored when the cognoscenti deign to respond- I don't even mind when they flame me at the same time. Although I've noticed the best of them aren't concerned about making me aware of my novice status...just with correcting my misconceptions.

-D.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:45 AM

people who are ALWAYS saying things like "You really HAVE to play this hand in such-and-such way" are either VERY GOOD players who you should be listening to OR are unable to think outside their very narroe box and think they are much better than they really are.

Ed Miller, Mason, Clarkmeister, Raymer, among others are in the former category of course....they frequently just tell you how it is and don't bother with "I suspect it's best to do it my way" (although they will say it in those terms as well.

But those who go off on how you HAVE to do this when they likely don't really know THAT much about it just wind up coming off as ridiculous as Gabbyyyy did when he was trying to tear apart Zeejustin and his big win.

The fact is, Zee is a very good player and Gabbyyy (and me and everyone else) would be wise to read his strategy posts and learn, learn, learn.
Others are just narrow-minded in how they approach poker and don't really understand it as well as they think they do.

Saying, "I think I probably wouldn't raise as much in this spot" is great.
Saying, "You HAVE to raise less here" is just an unwillingness to learn.