Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-13-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Playing in TAG games

I know that playing in TAG games are generally not recommended. But I am getting good bonuses and I figure I just have to play in them. I am talking about the Poker Network. The problem is, I am struggling. The VPIP for these games are less than 20 but the PFR is about 9-10. There is always a fish or two mixed in as well.

In general, how should I be playing in these games?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Playing in TAG games

How or why are you struggling?

Tight and strong is how you need to play.
With so many pots heads up or 3-way and blind steal situations being more prominent - reads become much more important.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Rarely to never open-limp.

Get used to isolation raising, especially if one of the 1-2 fish is on your right.

Brush up on your blind steal situations.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:46 PM

Regarding TAG players and blind steals - Occasionally I will cap the flop with a mediocre hand and lead the turn. Many TAG's respect caps and will back down even if they have a good/decent hand.

I rarely do this though and play tight so they have to respect when I do.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 PM

It seems most of the money I am losing is in the blinds. I am just not getting hands that are worth playing even to an obvious blind-stealer. I also had the problem of open-limping too much, but today I made steps to correct it. Can anyone point me to any resources on blind play?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:22 PM

Everybody loses money in the blinds. You might be defending too much and losing more. A lot of times you just have to let the stealer take it if you got trash.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems most of the money I am losing is in the blinds. I am just not getting hands that are worth playing even to an obvious blind-stealer. I also had the problem of open-limping too much, but today I made steps to correct it. Can anyone point me to any resources on blind play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I can be helpful every once in awhile. Check this out:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post4062929
Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Those games are tight, but not necessarily TAG games at all.

Eliminate some of the marginal stuff that works wonders on Party like small pairs, suited aces in early position, etc.. You'll be given plenty of opportunities to open in mid-late position, and can often overcome any weaknesses you have in blind defense with a reasonable level of blind stealing. It is more A-B-C than TAG play there, and turn raises from 95% of players mean what they appear to mean. And then there are the other 5% of players. Sit to their left and you'll do fine.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:20 PM

FYI, there are sites out there with good bonuses and loose players. I'd checkout:

Action Poker Network
Boss Media Network
iPoker Network

None of these networks are compatable with Pokertracker. So, I wouldn't play there until I had decent statistics. Pokertracker is just too good of a learning tool to not use while you are ramping up the learning curve.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:08 PM

Try this every once in a while.

PokerRoom 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 4.25 BB