Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 PM

Default How many here would buy a book by Hoyt Corkins?

On NLHE tournament and strategy? I would be very interested in the thought processes behind he hyper-aggressive style and how he makes it work so well for him.

RZ
Old 12-12-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: How many here would buy a book by Hoyt Corkins?

Shouldn't be a very extensive book, just continue to pound on the short stacks when you have the chip lead with all-in raises. If you're called hope to get lucky with your 8-3 off or what have you. :-P
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 AM

I wouldn't buy it unless I heard good things about it. On the other hand, I would buy anything that Barry Greenstein or Chip Reese or Doyle Brunson wrote (not his online book) because they are top players and very intelligent people.

I don't have any reason, prima facie, to think Hoyt would write anything that is a meaningful contribution (accurate+original) to NL hold em strategy.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 AM

Why are you asking this question? Is Hoyt planning on writing a book?

And to answer your question, there is no poker book that I would buy just because of an author's reputation, but I'd be willing to purchase any book that has received consistant good reviews.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 AM

Hi Rowdy:

Hoyt occasionally posts to these forums, so perhaps we'll get an answer from him.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-13-2005, 09:23 AM

I have no knowledge of Corkins writing a book. There has been alot of talk on the Kill Phil book and Corkins was the most sucessful pro I could think of who uses that type of Allin strategy. He has also defintely been a thorn in Phil Hellmuths side as well, the recent WSOP TOC being a perfect example.

RZ
Old 12-13-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Rowdy:

Hoyt occasionally posts to these forums, so perhaps we'll get an answer from him.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know Corkins posted here, I see he is a recent addition. I also see he is a man of few words not only at the poker table but in the forums as well. I read all 12 posts he has made so far and I have already used more words in this 1 post then he did in all 12 of his. That makes me doubt a book would be forthcoming.

RZ
Old 12-13-2005, 12:09 PM

I love Hoyt's play. But.... and this would apply to Hoyt or Gus Hansen, etc. How can you teach feel and aggression? I don't think you could capture the dynamic and context of their game in print. Like they say in pro sports. you can't teach speed.

Now watching this style being applied in say a 2 HR DVD with very informative voice over and supporting odds, outs, etc. would be worthwhile. Say a $100 SnG, the hands replayed just like they were in the tournament on screen.

I'd like to see a book from Hoyt on Razz. I know he made a final table 2 yrs ago?

Go HOYT!!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:18 PM

Maybe a book on his life and his return to the game would be interesting. He seems like a really nice guy and seems to keep his cool at the table. His only mistake I have seen was in season II of the WPT at the Pokerstars Carribean Adventure when Hansen sucked out on him and he went on tilt and handed Hansen the title.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:32 PM

Someone who wears a cowboy hat and owns cattle is damn cool in my opinion. The guy can definitely play. I would read his book.