Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Another fishy 5-10 hand for you to criticize

I loves me some overpairs

PokerStars Game: Omaha Pot Limit ($5/$10)

Table 'Andraimon' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 3: TheGiftOfGab ($2214.75 in chips)
Seat 4: LoCoTiTo ($635 in chips)
Seat 8: me ($835 in chips)
Seat 9: Reel_Toy ($110 in chips)
Seat 5: EASSA ($2031.70 in chips)
Seat 7: B Buddy ($4330.65 in chips)
Seat 1: F.U.N. ($200 in chips)
Seat 2: CHUFTY ($4348.25 in chips)
me: posts small blind $5
Reel_Toy: posts big blind $10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to me [Kd Kc 8c 9d]
F.U.N.: folds
CHUFTY: raises $20 to $30
TheGiftOfGab: calls $30
LoCoTiTo: calls $30
EASSA: calls $30
B Buddy: folds
me: calls $25
Reel_Toy: folds
*** FLOP *** [7c Qc 4s]
me: checks
CHUFTY: bets $157
TheGiftOfGab: calls $157
LoCoTiTo: folds
EASSA: folds
me: raises $628 to $785
CHUFTY: calls $628
TheGiftOfGab: folds
*** TURN *** [7c Qc 4s] [2c]
me: bets $20 and is all-in
CHUFTY: calls $20
Old 08-02-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Another fishy 5-10 hand for you to criticize

Wow. You might as well set your money on fire.

Your first thought before you even start a hand is what your stack to blind ratio is. You hold 80 BB's. This is a level at which you really want to have a set before you commit all your chips.

Preflop: A pretty good hand, but one that plays much better with a smaller field. Raise to $150 or so, with the plan of folding if it is reraised to put you pot committed.

Flop: You have an overpair and a 2nd nut flush draw. This is not worth all your money. When the big stack bet out, and then there was a call, you should pitch this. If the big stack is very aggressive and they all fold to you, you might consider making a play, but with the two, one of them has a better hand right now, and one of them has a better draw. Get out.

With the actual action, you had a chance to close the betting with just a call. If you insist on playing this, then at least look at the turn and pray for the Ac, or at least a card to give you straight outs, as well. But just fold.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:40 PM

I don't mind your flop play at all if there is no caller in the middle and you have some reason to assume the player may fold. Pushing people around with second nut draws in PLO is not usually a good idea.

I think one could say a lot of good things about reraising preflop as well.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't mind your turn play at all

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean the flop play?

I have no idea about the flop play but the turn -- betting the last $20 -- seems fine to me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Guy.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

I don't mind your turn play at all

Did you mean the flop play?

I have no idea about the flop play but the turn -- betting the last $20 -- seems fine to me.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in the states the 3 cards dealt (turned!) face up in the middle of the table are called the turn, the next card is FLOPPED up.

I have edited my post to reflect the stranger UK version.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] OK, I [censored] up. Posts some hands you gadfly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2004, 04:51 PM

My first post at this forum, been a keen reader of the new PLO -forum and like the initiative. Haven't played at all at this limit but here it comes:

Wouldn't Chufty make this play with AAxx with clubs suited, ie try to buy the pot with an overpair and nutflush draw?
Or is the raise PF too small to ba able to put him on that?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:11 PM

Pete,

Thematically, this is a very similar hand to the others you have posted and I have commented on, so don't be surprised if I say the same stuff too :-)

Check raising Chufty is a good idea, as he is 90% likely to auto bet the flop. However. When he CALLS this is a horse of a very different colour. And this is kinda the problem with the style of play - loose, aggressive, intelligent - that you are playing in this game. Everyone else is playing loose too. And some of them, especially the Brits and Candians are playing loose good as well. So these skillful but gambling plays, which work far better in the kind of games sahaguje described - cautious, passive - here they can get you into big trouble becuase sometimes THEY WILL HAVE THE HANDS.

So against that particular foe, I am probably allin too...its just as a whole I think you are perhaps taking the wrong tack in the game.

FWIW, betting out may also be a better play, as if its pot raised back to you, at least you can make a decision.

gl

Dave
------------
Internet Poker Pro Blog
Old 08-02-2004, 05:37 PM

Default RESULTS

My Fish-Like reasoning on the play: I expected CHUFTY to bet the flop no matter what he held, and I planned to check-raise with my at least 2 outs. The only decision here was whether I should abandon the plan when GoG called in between. The fear, of course, is that Gab might have the Ace high flush draw, and I could get caught between a rock and a hard place if both of them came with me. However, I thought there was a very strong chance that one or both of them would fold to my big raise, and I figured there was at least some chance that I had the best hand AND the best draw.

Results: Chufty ended up having 3356 with 2 clubs, for a nice looking draw himself -- classic case where he would have rather I had a real hand.