Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 06:40 PM

Default was I right to raise the turn?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (15 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 12-20-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: was I right to raise the turn?

sure, the turn call/raise is fine as your equity in this pot is greater than 25%. I would have raised the flop though.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:56 PM

i seriously considered raising the flop. I was torn between raising and calling. I wanted to tie the other players on to the pot because I figured no matter how many callers, if I hit my draw I would win. Since I had to improve anyway, I wanted the extra callers to come along for the ride
Old 12-20-2005, 07:20 PM

I don't. You have a 9 high...are almost never winning without a showdown...and you're barely above breakeven if you do get 4 callers if your flush always wins...which it occasionally won't. Just call.

Flop call is fine though.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:26 PM

assuming we have all twelve outs, our equity is 12/46, or 26%. surely there must be some discount for a possible higher flush draw here. we can also not realistically assume that everyone always calls. this can't be +EV, and this is ignoring the benefits of being bet into on the river compared to being checked to. you're basically lowering your own implied odds and pushing a nonexistant equity edge.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:36 PM

we don't lose implied odds, because if we hit a flush or straight, we won't get to raise on the river. an overcall or betting out would probably be more profitable. since everyone would be forced to call two cold.

in fact, as I think about it, I think we gain implied odds because it disguises are hand... most people won't put us on a flush if we hit (and almost certainly not on a straight)
Old 12-20-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we don't lose implied odds, because if we hit a flush or straight, we won't get to raise on the river. an overcall or betting out would probably be more profitable. since everyone would be forced to call two cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

With his turn checkraise, SB suddenly became the aggressor in the hand.

You have good relative position to him on the river if you catch.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because if we hit a flush or straight, we won't get to raise on the river

[/ QUOTE ]
uh what? sure they'll check sometimes on a flush card, but you're basically screaming "SET" when you call/3-bet the turn. there's no way you're ever going to get to raise your made hand playing it this way.

plus who the hell would know you made a straight with a river 7 anyway?

[ QUOTE ]
in fact, as I think about it, I think we gain implied odds because it disguises are hand... most people won't put us on a flush if we hit (and almost certainly not on a straight)

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah so someone's just going to bluff bet into you because they think you'll fold to the flush they're representing? to increase your implied odds you have to make people more likely to play back at you. you are representing a MONSTER on the turn. if someone bet into you on a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river, you should only call because they'll have a flush super often based on how strong your turn play is.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 PM

you're right nick... my oversight, I forgot about that (since he folded) which, may I say, at the time really confused me
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised the flop though.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Do you really think you're going to increase your chances of winning enough to make up for driving out potential customers?

I think the flop bettor probably has an ace.