Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Limp YES!, uh-oh, YES!!

I think this is a spot where you should fast play trips on fourth street. Its so likely that someone is gonna make a pair or something scary on 5th and bet again in which case you can raise again.

The only thing I do differently in this hand is bet 6th street. Checking here is really weak. If someone has a flush or straight you're probably gonna fill around 25% anyways so your bet isnt even a negative expectation if they have this. So imagine what your odds are to win when you're ahead right now.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:57 PM

I just want to comment on 3rd and 6th.

I understand your desire to just limp on 3rd, but i would look at raising also to try to narrow the field a little and play more of the initial aggressive role in the hand. I know that most would limp as you did, but you might want to explore raising in this situation also.

on 6th, i prefer a raise here rather than the passive call. Good chance you still have the best hand and you also have the best draw if you don't.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:03 PM

This is terrible advice.

There is no way to narrow the field with a raise on third. On sixth, if you check-raise and he has a made hand he will 3-bet you and has you board locked.

Clearly limping is correct on third. I agree with the other posters (e.g., frappe) that betting, not checking, is best on sixth.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Limb, YES!, uh-oh, YES!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On 6th, I also would bet and call if Seat 1 raised. If Seat 3 raised, I'd get that sick feeling and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cannot disagree more. No way you can fold a pot that size on sixth, when you hold trips.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-18-2005, 07:11 PM

The 3rd strt raise has the potential to knock out one or more of the following players: 7,8(the bring in),2, 3, 5. It is not known how many would drop out with the raise, but the bring in is likely and anyone with an upcard lower than the jack.

In stud, if an aggresive situation presents itself, take it if it looks reasonable. And in stud, if a situation presents itself to knock out 1 or more players, take it if it looks reasonable.

As for 6th, you are right what you say. I meant to say, just bet it outright and not check. check raising does not look correct there.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:29 PM

Lemme see.To have a straight on 5th,seat 5 would have to start with either(A5)2 OR(65)2 & hit the double inside straight.Nah!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:47 PM

3rd:Of course you don't complete with this dog.You're just slipping in on the back end because it's cheap,& maybe you'll get lucky.

4th:All right!You did get lucky.Your hand is well concealed.You could have 4 hearts,a 10,9 in the hole,J's & 8's,or some other hands.

5th:The other 8 coming out conceals your hand more.Nobody re-raises.Your hand is good.

6th:Your hand is still good.Seat 1 could have made a flush,but not likely with the spades this dead.Bet your winning hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:12 AM

I don't think raising is a very good option. 2 overcards have limped and that can mean anything from 3 high cards to a big pair. Its not uncommon to see people slow play kings or tens on 3rd street. I never like to raise when 2 overcards have limped because of this.

The raise makes a little more sense if you had a straight flush kicker here, since your hand would play much better multi-way. Even though you MIGHT be able to knock out the bring-in and other guy behind you with a raise, the pot IS going multi-way and there is nothing you can do about it. Since 8s aren't very strong in a multi-way pot, you're better off just limping here.

My preferred way of playing this is limping 3rd, and if everyone catches blanks on 4th and checks to me I'll bet and hope to pick up the pot right there. Notice that this bet has a much better chance of knocking people out than the 3rd street bet.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:57 AM

Default RESULT

Much to my suprise, seat 5 really did have a straight on fifth. I figured "no way" could he have it, considering what his starting cards would have to be. Seat 1 made his flush on sixth.

The most consistent advice here was that my sixth street play was weak. Considering the way the hand played out I could see no other plausible hand for seat 1 than a flush. I was as close to 100% certain that he had it on sixth as one can be in this game. Given this read and that he indeed had the flush, does everyone still think that I should have bet sixth?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: RESULT

[ QUOTE ]
I was as close to 100% certain that he had it on sixth as one can be in this game. Given this read and that he indeed had the flush, does everyone still think that I should have bet sixth?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should only check here if you're so sure that you will fold the river if you don't fill up.